Re: RE: [WarOf1812] Fw: Victoria Cross

  • Peter Monahan
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
      dave

      Topham died several decades ago. His wife died several years ago, childless and intestate. The relatives apparently wish to sell (rather than donate to a museum) and the executor feels he must sell to satisfy the heirs (and the law, I suspect, if they insist).

      Someone - a British museum? - has offered $300 000 for the group but the law requires that it be offered first to a Canadian buyer and the exceutor has offered it to Canadadians at $275 000. The Cdn War Museum has , apparently, "no acquisitions budget".

      Donations may be sent to a fund being administered by the Queen's Owb Rifles. The exact address can be found by Googling "thestar.com" and "Topham" - it's in one of the letters which were published yesterday. I assume the QOR was his parent unit, as of course he was with 1 Can. Para Bttln when he won the VC at Arnhem. Hope this helps!

      Peter Monahan
      From: "Camp Chief" <sbfg.cc@...>
      Date: 2004/11/02 Tue AM 11:39:28 EST
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [WarOf1812] Fw: Victoria Cross

      Dear List

      Can anyone shed light on how this particular medal came to be offered for
      sale.

      I have heard one report that it is the "family" who is offering it for sale
      at $275,000, and that another family member (presumably one without a stake
      or a say) is spurring the move to purchase it for "Canada". If this is
      true, then I think careful examination is required to ensure that the facts
      are correct and that everyone knows them before they make decisions whether
      to donate or not.

      While normally, I would be the first to say that any items like this belong
      in museums, IN Canada, I would be disparaged if it is indeed the family
      themselves that appear to be wanting to sell it "to the highest bidder".

      Can anyone shed light on how it is up for sale? Is $275,000 the "market"
      price of such an item?

      I think I would be interested in hearing some of these details before
      sending off my money.

      David Randle

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
        The CWM is still trying to live down its VC gaff of earlier this year where
        in April 2004 a VC went up for sale that was part of the collection of the
        CWM. It was misplaced (?) 31 years ago and ended up at a private auction
        house. http://www.jeffreyhoare.on.ca/ it turned out to be authentic and
        returned in August.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
          forgot to post a great website

          http://www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

          and for those Americans check out William Henry Harrison Seeley. The first
          American to win the VC. He served with the Royal Navy.

          Kevin
        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
            Hello all,

            As the Capt of C Coy 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Re-enacted,
            I've been following this discussion with interest even though we are
            rather off topic.

            To be honest, fellow re-enactors, veterans and friends of the 1st
            Canadian Parachute Bn have been aware of the situation and have been
            organizing a fund for a while since the announcement was made of this
            pending sale. Veteran and President of the 1 Can Para Association Jan
            de Vries (Juno Beach Project) and the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
            have been heading up this fund.

            'Toppy' was never a member of the Queen's Own, they happen to be the
            infantry unit in Toronto with a Jump Company tasking in the Canadian
            Forces and as such a close association with the Airborne family.

            The overwhelming sentiment of the family and public has been to keep
            this medal in Canada and in the public view. That being said, a
            $300,000 bid has been put forward by a private European source. If
            that happens the medal set will effectively disappear.

            Please have a look at the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada website at;
            http://www.qor.com/ for updates and about your donation, should you
            choose. I think it's a worthy cause.

            I would be pleased to continue this discussion off line with anyone
            who will.

            Ex Coelis,

            Len
          • suthren@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
              > As the Capt of C Coy 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Re-enacted,
              > I've been following this discussion with interest even though we are
              > rather off topic.
              >
              > To be honest, fellow re-enactors, veterans and friends of the 1st
              > Canadian Parachute Bn have been aware of the situation and have been
              > organizing a fund for a while since the announcement was made of this
              > pending sale. Veteran and President of the 1 Can Para Association Jan
              > de Vries (Juno Beach Project) and the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
              > have been heading up this fund.
              >
              > 'Toppy' was never a member of the Queen's Own, they happen to be the
              > infantry unit in Toronto with a Jump Company tasking in the Canadian
              > Forces and as such a close association with the Airborne family.
              >
              > The overwhelming sentiment of the family and public has been to keep
              > this medal in Canada and in the public view. That being said, a
              > $300,000 bid has been put forward by a private European source. If
              > that happens the medal set will effectively disappear.
              >
              > Please have a look at the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada website at;
              > http://www.qor.com/ for updates and about your donation, should you
              > choose. I think it's a worthy cause.
              >
              > I would be pleased to continue this discussion off line with anyone
              > who will.
              >
              > Ex Coelis,
              >
              > Len

              square miles...

            • suthren@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
                > As the Capt of C Coy 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Re-enacted,
                > I've been following this discussion with interest even though we are
                > rather off topic.
                >
                > To be honest, fellow re-enactors, veterans and friends of the 1st
                > Canadian Parachute Bn have been aware of the situation and have been
                > organizing a fund for a while since the announcement was made of this
                > pending sale. Veteran and President of the 1 Can Para Association Jan
                > de Vries (Juno Beach Project) and the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
                > have been heading up this fund.
                >
                > 'Toppy' was never a member of the Queen's Own, they happen to be the
                > infantry unit in Toronto with a Jump Company tasking in the Canadian
                > Forces and as such a close association with the Airborne family.
                >
                > The overwhelming sentiment of the family and public has been to keep
                > this medal in Canada and in the public view. That being said, a
                > $300,000 bid has been put forward by a private European source. If
                > that happens the medal set will effectively disappear.
                >
                > Please have a look at the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada website at;
                > http://www.qor.com/ for updates and about your donation, should you
                > choose. I think it's a worthy cause.
                >
                > I would be pleased to continue this discussion off line with anyone
                > who will.
                >
                > Ex Coelis,
                >
                > Len

                square miles...