Esquire

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
      From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

      I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
      rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

      ------------------------

      Or........

      was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
    • J.Bruce Whittaker
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
        Greetings,
        I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

        "es*quire (noun)

        [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
        scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

        First appeared 15th Century

        1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

        2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
        to a knight

        3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
        after the surname

        4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

        Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
        ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
        affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
        because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
        if so from what? from where?

        The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
        fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
        Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
        dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
        given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
        the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
        an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
        reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
        noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
        independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
        Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
        nobility." (Id. at 783.)

        Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
        nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
        risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
        England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
        you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
        this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
        calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
        addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
        case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

        Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
        in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
        lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
        very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
        to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
        front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
        and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
        to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
        you might be thought a lawyer.
      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
          Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

          Bob Dorian
          [Just plain Bob]
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
            I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

            Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
            ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
            affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
            because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
            if so from what? from where?

            Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
            Ireland.

            Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
            nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
            risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
            England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
            you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
            this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
            calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
            addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
            case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

            There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
            frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
            there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
            miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
            is no quivalent for women.

            So cheers

            Peter Catley esq.

            square miles...

            ---------------------------------
            Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            American Forces Unit Lisiting
            http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
            31004770>