Esquire

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
      From: <BritcomHMP@...>

      OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!!
      that is the BIG no no!

      For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

      ------------------------

      Ny Dear Miss Timbo Manners

      Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .......

      Ora pro nobis

      Yrs.,
      L2 ~ PX
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
        From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

        I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
        rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

        ------------------------

        Or........

        was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
      • J.Bruce Whittaker
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
          Greetings,
          I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

          "es*quire (noun)

          [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
          scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

          First appeared 15th Century

          1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

          2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
          to a knight

          3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
          after the surname

          4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

          Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
          ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
          affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
          because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
          if so from what? from where?

          The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
          fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
          Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
          dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
          given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
          the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
          an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
          reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
          noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
          independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
          Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
          nobility." (Id. at 783.)

          Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
          nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
          risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
          England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
          you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
          this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
          calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
          addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
          case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

          Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
          in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
          lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
          very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
          to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
          front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
          and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
          to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
          you might be thought a lawyer.
        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
            Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

            Bob Dorian
            [Just plain Bob]
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
              I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

              Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
              ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
              affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
              because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
              if so from what? from where?

              Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
              Ireland.

              Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
              nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
              risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
              England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
              you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
              this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
              calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
              addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
              case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

              There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
              frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
              there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
              miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
              is no quivalent for women.

              So cheers

              Peter Catley esq.

              square miles...

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Lisiting
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada

              <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
              31004770>