Re: Esquire

  • David Lynch
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
      > dave8365@a... writes:
      >
      > Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of
      the
      > Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!
      >

      > Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you
      would be
      > either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable
      David.

      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim

      You are ever so right, Tim...in my haste to make a small joke, I
      meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle, rather than Duke of
      Dipsidoodle.

      Oh well...they can't all be gems.

      Vis-a-vis "the honorable"; that was used when referring to a younger
      son in the third person, while first and second person were as Lord
      Larry...yes?

      Well...carry on making your mud pies.

      Dave Lynch
    • David Lynch
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        My Dear Mr. Lozon,

        I would happily second you any time. Even third and fourth you, if
        required.

        Timbo having already bopped you upon the head on one count, I shan't
        add to your tweaking, except to say that, as heir to the Duke, you
        would be according one of his lesser courtesy titles - for example,
        the Earl of Wessex will succeed to the Duchy of Edinburgh upon the
        passing of the present Duke.

        I should also hasten to add that, from a Californian's perspective,
        names such as "Yank" and "Mason-Dixon" are only important to that
        overly-fed segment of the Eastern Seaboard who insist on wearing
        drab, ill-fitting uniforms. I bet none of them has ever considered
        purchasing a decent man's corset (not to mention their commission!)

        Cheers,
        David Lynch
        93rd, etc.

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

        > Robert R. White, Esq., wrote:
        >
        > L2 .... could you use a second from the legal fraternity ....
        >
        > From: "David L. Lynch, Esq."
        >
        > Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of
        the
        > Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!
        >
        > -------------
        >
        > Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq, who at one tyme did act as my second and
        friend
        > near the Mississinewa River during an affair of honour, Sir, may I
        > respectfully
        > correct your statement as I was the only son .... thus heir to the
        Duke!

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
          From: <BritcomHMP@...>

          OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!!
          that is the BIG no no!

          For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

          ------------------------

          Ny Dear Miss Timbo Manners

          Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .......

          Ora pro nobis

          Yrs.,
          L2 ~ PX
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
            From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

            I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
            rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

            ------------------------

            Or........

            was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
          • J.Bruce Whittaker
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
              Greetings,
              I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

              "es*quire (noun)

              [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
              scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

              First appeared 15th Century

              1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

              2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
              to a knight

              3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
              after the surname

              4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

              Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
              ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
              affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
              because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
              if so from what? from where?

              The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
              fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
              Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
              dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
              given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
              the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
              an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
              reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
              noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
              independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
              Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
              nobility." (Id. at 783.)

              Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
              nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
              risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
              England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
              you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
              this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
              calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
              addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
              case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

              Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
              in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
              lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
              very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
              to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
              front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
              and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
              to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
              you might be thought a lawyer.
            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

                Bob Dorian
                [Just plain Bob]
              • Peter Catley
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                  I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                  Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                  ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                  affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                  because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                  if so from what? from where?

                  Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
                  Ireland.

                  Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                  nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                  risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                  England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                  you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                  this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                  calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                  addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                  case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                  There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
                  frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
                  there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
                  miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
                  is no quivalent for women.

                  So cheers

                  Peter Catley esq.

                  square miles...

                  ---------------------------------
                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  American Forces Unit Lisiting
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                  atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                  atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

                  Get unlimited calls to

                  U.S./Canada

                  <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
                  31004770>