Esquire

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      Robert R. White, Esq., wrote:

      L2 .... could you use a second from the legal fraternity ....

      From: "David L. Lynch, Esq."

      Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
      Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

      -------------

      Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq, who at one tyme did act as my second and friend
      near the Mississinewa River during an affair of honour, Sir, may I
      respectfully
      correct your statement as I was the only son .... thus heir to the Duke!

      You Sir, a Barrister and Solicitor from the State of California I am unaware
      if
      the title 'Yank' will set with you as you are from south of the line
      Messieurs
      Mason and Dixon did scribe.

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        In a message dated 01/11/2004 19:07:25 Central Standard Time,
        lalozon@... writes:

        Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq,

        OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!! that is the BIG no no!

        Never ever under any circumstances Mr. & Esquire on the same name at the
        same time!!!

        For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

        Timbo (aka Miss Manners)

      • David Lynch
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

          > In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
          > dave8365@a... writes:
          >
          > Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of
          the
          > Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!
          >

          > Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you
          would be
          > either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable
          David.

          > Cheers
          >
          > Tim

          You are ever so right, Tim...in my haste to make a small joke, I
          meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle, rather than Duke of
          Dipsidoodle.

          Oh well...they can't all be gems.

          Vis-a-vis "the honorable"; that was used when referring to a younger
          son in the third person, while first and second person were as Lord
          Larry...yes?

          Well...carry on making your mud pies.

          Dave Lynch
        • David Lynch
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            My Dear Mr. Lozon,

            I would happily second you any time. Even third and fourth you, if
            required.

            Timbo having already bopped you upon the head on one count, I shan't
            add to your tweaking, except to say that, as heir to the Duke, you
            would be according one of his lesser courtesy titles - for example,
            the Earl of Wessex will succeed to the Duchy of Edinburgh upon the
            passing of the present Duke.

            I should also hasten to add that, from a Californian's perspective,
            names such as "Yank" and "Mason-Dixon" are only important to that
            overly-fed segment of the Eastern Seaboard who insist on wearing
            drab, ill-fitting uniforms. I bet none of them has ever considered
            purchasing a decent man's corset (not to mention their commission!)

            Cheers,
            David Lynch
            93rd, etc.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
              From: <BritcomHMP@...>

              OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!!
              that is the BIG no no!

              For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

              ------------------------

              Ny Dear Miss Timbo Manners

              Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .......

              Ora pro nobis

              Yrs.,
              L2 ~ PX
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

                I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
                rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

                ------------------------

                Or........

                was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
              • J.Bruce Whittaker
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Greetings,
                  I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                  "es*quire (noun)

                  [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
                  scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

                  First appeared 15th Century

                  1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

                  2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
                  to a knight

                  3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
                  after the surname

                  4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

                  Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                  ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                  affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                  because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                  if so from what? from where?

                  The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
                  fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
                  Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
                  dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
                  given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
                  the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
                  an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
                  reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
                  noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
                  independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
                  Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
                  nobility." (Id. at 783.)

                  Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                  nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                  risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                  England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                  you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                  this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                  calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                  addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                  case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                  Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
                  in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
                  lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
                  very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
                  to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
                  front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
                  and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
                  to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
                  you might be thought a lawyer.
                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

                    Bob Dorian
                    [Just plain Bob]
                  • Peter Catley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                      I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                      Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                      ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                      affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                      because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                      if so from what? from where?

                      Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
                      Ireland.

                      Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                      nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                      risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                      England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                      you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                      this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                      calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                      addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                      case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                      There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
                      frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
                      there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
                      miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
                      is no quivalent for women.

                      So cheers

                      Peter Catley esq.

                      square miles...

                      ---------------------------------
                      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                      American Forces Unit Lisiting
                      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

                      Get unlimited calls to

                      U.S./Canada

                      <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
                      31004770>