Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Esquire

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
      dave8365@... writes:

      Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
      Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

      Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you would be
      either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable David.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

        L2 .... could you use a second from the legal fraternity ....

        From: "David L. Lynch, Esq."

        Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
        Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

        -------------

        Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq, who at one tyme did act as my second and friend
        near the Mississinewa River during an affair of honour, Sir, may I
        respectfully
        correct your statement as I was the only son .... thus heir to the Duke!

        You Sir, a Barrister and Solicitor from the State of California I am unaware
        if
        the title 'Yank' will set with you as you are from south of the line
        Messieurs
        Mason and Dixon did scribe.

        Yrs.,

        L2
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
          In a message dated 01/11/2004 19:07:25 Central Standard Time,
          lalozon@... writes:

          Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq,

          OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!! that is the BIG no no!

          Never ever under any circumstances Mr. & Esquire on the same name at the
          same time!!!

          For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

          Timbo (aka Miss Manners)

        • David Lynch
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
            > dave8365@a... writes:
            >
            > Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of
            the
            > Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!
            >

            > Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you
            would be
            > either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable
            David.

            > Cheers
            >
            > Tim

            You are ever so right, Tim...in my haste to make a small joke, I
            meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle, rather than Duke of
            Dipsidoodle.

            Oh well...they can't all be gems.

            Vis-a-vis "the honorable"; that was used when referring to a younger
            son in the third person, while first and second person were as Lord
            Larry...yes?

            Well...carry on making your mud pies.

            Dave Lynch
          • David Lynch
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
              My Dear Mr. Lozon,

              I would happily second you any time. Even third and fourth you, if
              required.

              Timbo having already bopped you upon the head on one count, I shan't
              add to your tweaking, except to say that, as heir to the Duke, you
              would be according one of his lesser courtesy titles - for example,
              the Earl of Wessex will succeed to the Duchy of Edinburgh upon the
              passing of the present Duke.

              I should also hasten to add that, from a Californian's perspective,
              names such as "Yank" and "Mason-Dixon" are only important to that
              overly-fed segment of the Eastern Seaboard who insist on wearing
              drab, ill-fitting uniforms. I bet none of them has ever considered
              purchasing a decent man's corset (not to mention their commission!)

              Cheers,
              David Lynch
              93rd, etc.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                From: <BritcomHMP@...>

                OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!!
                that is the BIG no no!

                For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

                ------------------------

                Ny Dear Miss Timbo Manners

                Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .......

                Ora pro nobis

                Yrs.,
                L2 ~ PX
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                  From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

                  I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
                  rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

                  ------------------------

                  Or........

                  was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
                • J.Bruce Whittaker
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Greetings,
                    I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                    "es*quire (noun)

                    [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
                    scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

                    First appeared 15th Century

                    1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

                    2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
                    to a knight

                    3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
                    after the surname

                    4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

                    Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                    ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                    affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                    because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                    if so from what? from where?

                    The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
                    fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
                    Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
                    dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
                    given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
                    the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
                    an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
                    reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
                    noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
                    independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
                    Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
                    nobility." (Id. at 783.)

                    Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                    nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                    risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                    England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                    you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                    this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                    calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                    addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                    case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                    Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
                    in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
                    lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
                    very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
                    to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
                    front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
                    and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
                    to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
                    you might be thought a lawyer.
                  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

                      Bob Dorian
                      [Just plain Bob]
                    • Peter Catley
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                        I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                        Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                        ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                        affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                        because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                        if so from what? from where?

                        Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
                        Ireland.

                        Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                        nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                        risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                        England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                        you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                        this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                        calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                        addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                        case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                        There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
                        frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
                        there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
                        miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
                        is no quivalent for women.

                        So cheers

                        Peter Catley esq.

                        square miles...

                        ---------------------------------
                        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                        American Forces Unit Lisiting
                        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

                        Get unlimited calls to

                        U.S./Canada

                        <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
                        31004770>