Esquire

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      From: "Doc Walsh" <docwaterloo@...>

      PISTOLS AT DAWN??????
      OOOOO....BUSINESS IS LOOKING UP!!!!!!
      Doc Walsh {Esquire}?????
      1st/95th rifles {u.k}
      captain-surgeon and friend of Mr Catley

      ------------------------

      As also a friend of Mr Catley

      Shall you swim the pond and attend me Sir,
      as your Surgeon business?

      Yrs.,

      L2
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        From: "Robert White" <whiteesq@...>

        L2 - and when you "talk" with Mr. Monahan
        could you use a second from the legal fraternity all be it that he is a
        yank?

        Mr. White, Esq.,

        Thank you and why Yes Kind Sir, and I have, at times, used
        Barristers
        and Solicitors of the Republic as seconds and friends during duels at the
        green
        near the Mississinewa

        Yrs.,

        L2
      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
          While there is a lot of kidding going on as regards 'Esquire', please do
          bear in mind that there is the historical environment of 1812 (wherein
          whatever term one used was strictly bound by societal protocol) and the
          modern environment of North America, in which British social stratifications
          and the terminology used to perpetuate them are as irrelevant as those of
          the Japanese. Do let's not confuse the two, chaps.
          Vic Suthren
          Ottawa
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Robert White <whiteesq@y...> wrote:
            > L2 - and when you "talk" with Mr. Monahan could you use a second
            from the legal fraternity all be it that he is a yank? Robert R.
            White, Esq., Pvt. US Marines aboard Constitution

            Originally, "Esquire" indicated one's status as a member of the
            gentry - more than a gentleman, but not a Knight. Younger sons of
            peers not otherwise entitled to use "Lord" (ie, Earls and below),
            eldest sons of Knights, and members of the learned professions would
            be among those entitled to the use of the appellation "Esquire".

            The use of "Esquire" in the legal community is properly reserved for
            use in correspondence from one lawyer to another. One should never,
            however, use the term "Esq." to describe oneself. While I would
            address a letter to John S. Smith, Esq., I would not sign it David
            L. Lynch, Esq. Finally, it was also considered improper for non-
            lawyers to use the term "Esquire" when addressing a lawyer.

            Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
            Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

            Cheers,
            Dave Lynch
            93rd SHRoFLHU
            THE Thin Red Line
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
              In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
              dave8365@... writes:

              Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
              Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

              Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you would be
              either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable David.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004

                L2 .... could you use a second from the legal fraternity ....

                From: "David L. Lynch, Esq."

                Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of the
                Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!

                -------------

                Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq, who at one tyme did act as my second and friend
                near the Mississinewa River during an affair of honour, Sir, may I
                respectfully
                correct your statement as I was the only son .... thus heir to the Duke!

                You Sir, a Barrister and Solicitor from the State of California I am unaware
                if
                the title 'Yank' will set with you as you are from south of the line
                Messieurs
                Mason and Dixon did scribe.

                Yrs.,

                L2
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 01/11/2004 19:07:25 Central Standard Time,
                  lalozon@... writes:

                  Mr. David L. Lynch, Esq,

                  OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!! that is the BIG no no!

                  Never ever under any circumstances Mr. & Esquire on the same name at the
                  same time!!!

                  For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

                  Timbo (aka Miss Manners)

                • David Lynch
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 01/11/2004 18:36:56 Central Standard Time,
                    > dave8365@a... writes:
                    >
                    > Thus, it would certainly appear that L2, Esq., as younger son of
                    the
                    > Duke of Dipsidoodle, is perfectly entitled to it!
                    >

                    > Actualy Dave in if Dady were a Duke, with no other title, you
                    would be
                    > either (depending on circumstance) Lord David or The Honourable
                    David.

                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Tim

                    You are ever so right, Tim...in my haste to make a small joke, I
                    meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle, rather than Duke of
                    Dipsidoodle.

                    Oh well...they can't all be gems.

                    Vis-a-vis "the honorable"; that was used when referring to a younger
                    son in the third person, while first and second person were as Lord
                    Larry...yes?

                    Well...carry on making your mud pies.

                    Dave Lynch
                  • David Lynch
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                      My Dear Mr. Lozon,

                      I would happily second you any time. Even third and fourth you, if
                      required.

                      Timbo having already bopped you upon the head on one count, I shan't
                      add to your tweaking, except to say that, as heir to the Duke, you
                      would be according one of his lesser courtesy titles - for example,
                      the Earl of Wessex will succeed to the Duchy of Edinburgh upon the
                      passing of the present Duke.

                      I should also hasten to add that, from a Californian's perspective,
                      names such as "Yank" and "Mason-Dixon" are only important to that
                      overly-fed segment of the Eastern Seaboard who insist on wearing
                      drab, ill-fitting uniforms. I bet none of them has ever considered
                      purchasing a decent man's corset (not to mention their commission!)

                      Cheers,
                      David Lynch
                      93rd, etc.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                        From: <BritcomHMP@...>

                        OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo Unkle Lar !!!!!!!!!
                        that is the BIG no no!

                        For shame, you will be eating with your fork in your right hand next :-)!

                        ------------------------

                        Ny Dear Miss Timbo Manners

                        Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa .......

                        Ora pro nobis

                        Yrs.,
                        L2 ~ PX
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                          From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

                          I meant to say the Earl of Dipsidoodle,
                          rather than Duke of Dipsidoodle.

                          ------------------------

                          Or........

                          was it the 'Duke of Earl' ?! :^)
                        • J.Bruce Whittaker
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                            Greetings,
                            I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                            "es*quire (noun)

                            [Middle English, from Middle French escuier squire, from Late Latin
                            scutarius, from Latin scutum shield; akin to Old Irish sciath shield]

                            First appeared 15th Century

                            1 : a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

                            2 : a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant
                            to a knight

                            3 -- used as a title of courtesy usu. placed in its abbreviated form
                            after the surname

                            4 archaic : a landed proprietor"

                            Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                            ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                            affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                            because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                            if so from what? from where?

                            The answer is that any snob in the world can use the title. In
                            fact, "squire" is a contraction of "esquire." I went to Black's Law
                            Dictionary and they say (5th Ed., p. 489): "In Eng. law, a title of
                            dignity above gentleman and below knight. Also a title of office
                            given to sheriffs, serjeants, and and barristers at law, justices of
                            the peace, and others. In the U.S., title commonly after the name of
                            an attorney; e.g., John J. Jones, Esquire." The entry for Gentleman
                            reads: "In its Engl. origin, this term formerly referred to a man of
                            noble or gentle birth; one belonging to the landed gentry; a man of
                            independent means; all above the rank of Yeomen." (Id. at 618.)
                            Knight means: "In Eng. law, the next personal dignity after the
                            nobility." (Id. at 783.)

                            Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                            nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                            risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                            England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                            you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                            this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                            calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                            addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                            case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                            Among lawyers, it's thought pretentious if you signs yourself "Esq."
                            in written communications but you are supposed to dignify other
                            lawyers with the appellation. So a lawyer's letters go out, "Yours
                            very truly, Snidely Whiplash" but the envelope comes back addressed
                            to "Snidely Whiplash, Esq." Also, you never put "Ms." or "Mr." in
                            front of the name when you use "Esq." Still, this is strictly custom,
                            and even if you never saw the inside of a law school there's nothing
                            to prevent you from calling yourself esquire ... except the fact that
                            you might be thought a lawyer.
                          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                              Especially, they might think you are a lawyer! ;-)

                              Bob Dorian
                              [Just plain Bob]
                            • Peter Catley
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
                                I found this regarding the use of "Esquire". Enjoy

                                Now you might ask: what allows one to use this title? Is there a
                                ceremony? Is it conferred by a university? Is it just some
                                affectation that snob-nosed folks use? Can I be Joe Blow, Esq. just
                                because I like the ring to it? Or do I need to get authorization, and
                                if so from what? from where?

                                Basically if you fancy it you can use it at least in the UK and I guess
                                Ireland.

                                Now of course in England there's this whole business about hereditary
                                nobility and getting knighted and all that, so it might be a little
                                risky to start calling yourself esquire there. But we're not in
                                England. You can call yourself anything you want here ... although
                                you do take the risk that you will be thought a snooty jerk. Since
                                this has never bothered lawyers, they have gotten into the habit of
                                calling each other esquire. This is a little like elected officials
                                addressing each other as "honorable," which to me seems a classic
                                case of advertising something after it's gone. But I digress.

                                There is no social risk in Britain using the title esquire or esq. it is
                                frequently used in written communications of a formal nature and certainly
                                there is no formal requirement about it although it could be considered a
                                miidle class profressional aspirant snobbish addition :-) Incidently there
                                is no quivalent for women.

                                So cheers

                                Peter Catley esq.

                                square miles...

                                ---------------------------------
                                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                                oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                                atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>
                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294n2jc1/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                                oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099498631/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i0te6rv/*http://clk.
                                atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099412231004770>

                                Get unlimited calls to

                                U.S./Canada

                                <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10994122
                                31004770>