Re: [WarOf1812] Re: "Regency House Party"

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2004
      In a message dated 31/10/2004 19:36:50 Central Standard Time,
      mparkinson2@... writes:

      In the United Kingdom, the title of esquire belongs to:
      the eldest sons of knights and their eldest sons in perpetual
      succession
      the eldest sons of younger sons of peers and their eldest sons in
      perpetual succession
      those who bear special office in the royal household
      Sheriffs while in office
      Justices of the Peace while in commission
      Commissioners of the Court of Bankruptcy
      Masters of the Supreme Court
      Deputy Lieutenants and Commissioners of Lieutenancy
      Queen's Counsel
      sergeants at law
      Royal Academicians
      officers of the Royal Navy with rank of Lieutenant or higher, of the
      Army with rank of Captain or higher, or of the Royal Air Force with
      rank of Flight Lieutenant or higher
      bachelors of divinity, law, or physics, and others
      persons to whom the title is granted by the monarch

      Its use (as Esq.) became pervasive in the late 20th century, for
      example being applied by banks to all men who did not have a grander
      title.

      Actualy the English custom is to use it forgentlemen who are of a rank and
      station to bear arms even if they are not actualy armigerous, this class
      obviously contains all the above but these days thyere are not many (any?) people
      who could afford the grant fee that would be denied arms so the term has
      become almost interchangeable with Mr. it is not in fact a title but a rank.

    • Peter Monahan
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        > PS Who gave Mr. Monahan permission to sign himself Esquire ?

        from various sorces so maybe he gave himself permission :)

        He did! On the specious and spurious grounds and reasoning that if it's good enough for Bill Clinton and his ilk ...

        We colonials don't really understand all this peerage busines. My 'umble apologies, Squire!

        Your most humble and obedient servant,
        Plain Mr. P. Monahan
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          Please do not confuse the Squirage with the Peerage!!

          He is definitely already above his "station" in life, DO NOT encourage him,
          the Earl of Titchmarsh beggars belief :-)

          Cheers

          P**

          > PS Who gave Mr. Monahan permission to sign himself Esquire ?

          from various sorces so maybe he gave himself permission :)

          He did! On the specious and spurious grounds and reasoning that if it's
          good enough for Bill Clinton and his ilk ...

          We colonials don't really understand all this peerage busines. My 'umble
          apologies, Squire!

          Your most humble and obedient servant,
          Plain Mr. P. Monahan

          square miles...

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Lisiting
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p9tq66/M=315388.5543472.6613714.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099395951/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
          .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
          here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5543472.6613714.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2372354/rand=552176353>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Peter Monahan
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
            Please do not confuse the Squirage with the Peerage!!

            He is definitely already above his "station" in life, DO NOT encourage him,
            the Earl of Titchmarsh beggars belief :-)

            Actually, I have that differencing figured out. What truly concerns me is the Lord of London (Ontario, Canada) -"L2" - and his claim that he is entitled to use "Esquire".

            It beggars belief that he could be a member of the noble classes, even on the wrong side of the blanket and I hesitate to blacken his character, such as it is, by suggesting that he might be a member of the legal fraternity so... ?

            PM

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
              I think I'll not get involved in the internal affairs of a Colony, even such
              a friendly one, it always seems to lead to bloodshed!

              Cheers

              P**

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129tju7nl/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1099412031/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
              .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
              here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2372354/rand=404093533>

              _____