A Canadian who served in the Seventh US Infantry

  • nappingcrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
      Hello,

      I've been poking around alot in Heitman's (US) Army Register
      recently, and running across some interesting entries. It makes me
      wonder about the stories behind the scanty entries, and wish I knew
      more. As this list has such a strong Canadian presence, and members
      who reenact the Seventh US infantry and the US Marines, I thought
      this might be of interest.

      Andrew Ross, born in Canada, joined the US Army and served as a
      Sergeant in the Seventh Infantry (Cottonbalers!) from November 1st
      1809 to May 1813; was promoted to 3rd Lieutenant in the Seventh
      Infantry on 2nd May 1813; promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on 21 Feb 1814;
      and 1st Lieutenant on 9 June, 1814; He resigned on 30th April 1817;
      He then served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps from the
      3rd of March 1821, was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on 1st Oct 1824.
      He died on 11 Dec 1836 of wounds received 21 Nov 1836, fighting in
      the battle of Wahoo Swamp Florida against the Seminoles.

      What must his life been like? Entries like this help bring to the
      fore the things that make the history of the period so interesting
      to me. I hope to see that details like this are not completely lost
      to history.

      Regards,
      Brian Smith
      (Nappingcrow)
    • suthren@magma.ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
        > I've been poking around alot in Heitman's (US) Army Register
        > recently, and running across some interesting entries. It makes me
        > wonder about the stories behind the scanty entries, and wish I knew
        > more. As this list has such a strong Canadian presence, and members
        > who reenact the Seventh US infantry and the US Marines, I thought
        > this might be of interest.
        >
        > Andrew Ross, born in Canada, joined the US Army and served as a
        > Sergeant in the Seventh Infantry (Cottonbalers!) from November 1st
        > 1809 to May 1813; was promoted to 3rd Lieutenant in the Seventh
        > Infantry on 2nd May 1813; promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on 21 Feb 1814;
        > and 1st Lieutenant on 9 June, 1814; He resigned on 30th April 1817;
        > He then served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps from the
        > 3rd of March 1821, was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on 1st Oct 1824.
        > He died on 11 Dec 1836 of wounds received 21 Nov 1836, fighting in
        > the battle of Wahoo Swamp Florida against the Seminoles.
        >
        > What must his life been like? Entries like this help bring to the
        > fore the things that make the history of the period so interesting
        > to me. I hope to see that details like this are not completely lost
        > to history.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Brian Smith
        > (Nappingcrow)

        square miles...

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2004
          Brian,

          This is some great stuff. Next time I'm plating around with USMC
          material in DC from the Seminole War I'm going to look him up and let
          you all knbow what I find. The USMC Historical Division and the USMC
          Legacy Museum are very interested in the seSeminole War period and
          I'll Pass on the info. With you getting all credit due. That is of
          course with your permision.

          Best Regards
          Colin Murphy
          USS Con 1812 MG
          and USMCHC
        • nappingcrow
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hi Colin,

            I'd be very eager to hear more about him, so please do pass along the
            information - perhaps someone will be able to flesh out the story. I
            deserve no credit for sleuthing. Any credit should properly go to
            Heitman, who has provided the bones. I'm working (very slowly)
            toward creating a searchable/indexable database of officers who
            served in the US Army regular infantry regiments during the War of
            1812. Something which would allow a user to pull up all officers who
            served in a given regiment, or during a given period, or calculate
            percentages of officers who rose from the ranks, numbers/percentages
            of officers by birthplace, state or military district, average time
            in grade and so on. This project is only in its infancy, but I've
            run across some interesting entries. (The number of officers killed
            in duels for example.)

            Regards,
            Brian Smith
            (nappingcrow)
          • Colin
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
              Brian,

              That is one heck of an endevour, but it sounds as awesome as the
              task. That will be great to have. Good luck and all the best with
              it and I'll get you as much info from USMC records as possible. Have
              found a few instances in 1814 letters of Junior Army Officers
              applying for Marine Corps Commisions when Congress OKs an expansion.

              Colin