Forming square - was Re: [WarOf1812] Three Times a Minute

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2004
      Not always. <g> At Fort Meigs a few years back Ken Hall got us to participate in this demonstration. On Saturday we obligingly fired and struggled to reload as the hussars galloped up and sliced a watermelon in two 20 yards away from us. So very safe and yet very impressive. On Sunday we, the 21eme and local US troops (I'm sorry, I don't recall which regiment), secretly practiced forming square. So on the volley and charge the cry "formez le carre'!) went up and to a nice drum roll we formed up before they sliced the melon. There were about 20 or more of us in square.

      "Clever fellows" or words to that effect greeted us when they rode up, all smiles. So it might be done, assuming you are expecting to be charged and have confidence that they aren't really trying to lop off your head.

      On the other hand, at Waterloo in '95 there were 84 of us in the 21eme line when charged from the flank by Prussian Uhlans from the smoke. We formed square in an estimated 15 seconds as the Uhlans flowed around the square, lance pinions flapping. In this case, we weren't expecting it and it was a surprise reaction. Not sure of the range when they were spotted charging as I was at the wrong end of the line to see anything.

      Michael
      From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@...<mailto:fullerfamily@...>>

      Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)

      =========

      At 80 yards they apparently could neither load fast enough
      nor form square by the time the horses were upon them.

      L2

    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2004
        Michael,