Re: [WarOf1812] Three Times a Minute - five minutes vs. five hours

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
      I hear the surgeon may some newer medications for those short cuts for those
      "6 per minute" occasions! opps ....was that outloud?
      :)

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
        > From: <yawors1@u...>
        >
        > How fast troop formations could fire was largely a function of
        training.

        > I think the truly important part of the equation in terms of
        > battlefield tactics is, how *long* could they fire three or
        four or
        > even five rounds a minute.
        >
        > Very interesting.
        >
        > I was informed over the weekend that a re-enactor from
        > Fort Erie, Ontario actually reached a rate of "SIX" shots a
        minute !!!!

        > Yrs.,
        >
        > L2

        With a rammer, and ball cartridge, as they would have done it back
        then? That would be quite an accomplishment.

        RWF
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
          From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@...>

          > With a rammer, and ball cartridge, as they would have done it back
          > then? That would be quite an accomplishment.

          = = = = = =

          Rog

          Apparently some Napoleonic Re-enactors made a line of musketmen
          and had cavalry 80 yards in front of them

          the experiment was:

          the line fired ...

          the horses then attacked.....

          the muskets could not get loaded and fired
          by the time the Hussars were on them

          So at three or four shots a minute, with a rammer, and ball cartridge
          they could not load fast enough to keep the horses away .......

          L2
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
            yeah one of the short cuts is loading while on full cock! Not too safe!

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
              > From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@s...>
              >
              > > With a rammer, and ball cartridge, as they would have done it
              back
              > > then? That would be quite an accomplishment.
              >
              > = = = = = =
              >
              > Rog
              >
              > Apparently some Napoleonic Re-enactors made a line of
              musketmen
              > and had cavalry 80 yards in front of them
              >
              > the experiment was:
              >
              > the line fired ...
              >
              > the horses then attacked.....
              >
              > the muskets could not get loaded and fired
              > by the time the Hussars were on them
              >
              > So at three or four shots a minute, with a rammer, and ball
              cartridge
              > they could not load fast enough to keep the horses away .......
              >

              > L2

              Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)

              RWF
            • hm95thfoot
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
                <kevin.windsor@s...> wrote:
                > yeah one of the short cuts is loading while on full cock! Not too
                safe!

                "Hold my beer, watch this!"

                Darwin Awards candidate....

                RWF
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                  From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@...>

                  Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)

                  =========

                  At 80 yards they apparently could neither load fast enough
                  nor form square by the time the horses were upon them.

                  L2
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                    "Kevin Windsor" wrote
                    yeah one of the short cuts is loading while on full cock!

                    From: "hm95thfoot" RWFuller

                    "Hold my beer, watch this!"
                    Darwin Awards candidate....
                    ------------------------

                    ...but does he spit the balls down the barrel while loading on full
                    cock? :-)
                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                      In a message dated 05/10/2004 17:19:13 Central Standard Time,
                      lalozon@... writes:

                      Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)

                      =========

                      At 80 yards they apparently could neither load fast enough
                      nor form square by the time the horses were upon them.

                      --------------------
                      -------------------

                      Quite, which is why the officer will have them in that formation (or some
                      other defensice position) before the cavalry gets that close!
                      The other point of course is that the volleyagainst cavalry would usualy be
                      held until they were closer in order to be more efective and the fact that the
                      infantry were loaded could put off the cavalry. This is why judging the
                      timing of the cavalry charge was such a delicare thing.

                      Of course if one let charging cavalry get too close one could risk what
                      happened to the KGL at Busaco where a dead horse became a projectile and broke
                      the square.

                    • Peter Monahan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                        From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>
                        Date: 2004/10/05 Tue PM 06:05:11 EST
                        To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>

                        yeah one of the short cuts is loading while on full cock! Not too safe!

                        I couldn't agree more!

                        PM
                        > Our own Dave Brunelle has done 6 a minute on several occasions, but not
                        > for long and with a couple "shortcuts"

                        Peter Monahan
                      • hm95thfoot
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2004
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                          > From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@s...>
                          >
                          > Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)
                          >

                          > =========
                          >
                          > At 80 yards they apparently could neither load fast enough
                          > nor form square by the time the horses were upon them.
                          >

                          > L2

                          Lar,

                          then do what the 5th Foot and 77th Foot did at El Bodon in 1811 in
                          just such a close situation- Charge Bayonets! They drove the French
                          cavalry off the field by relying on the attack instead of defense.

                          RWF
                        • craig w
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 6, 2004
                            Some thoughts on Jim's thoughts, and the question at hand,

                            I am trying to find the original reference for three rounds a minute
                            and will post it as soon as I do. In the meanwhile, in response to the
                            rest of the dialogue.

                            In large battles it takes time for troops to come within effective
                            firing distances so manuevering took awhile, while actual exchanges of
                            fire could be quite short and sharp, (unless the battle has one side
                            "entrenched" {eg,Hougamont}). A cartridge box can go quite a long time
                            before it needs refilling.
                            Having said that I'd like to point out that the issue cartridge box for
                            the british army at this time was designed to hold 60 rounds of
                            ammunition.One box full could last quite some time.

                            Having fired a musket with live rounds, I'd like to point out that
                            whereas yes the lock does get more and more fouled the barrel reaches a
                            peek fouling point and then each successive round tends to scour or
                            clear the barrel to a certain degree.
                            The 3rd round doesn't go down as fast as the first but the 10th goes
                            down as easily as the 3rd.
                            Malfunctions on the field are usually related to ignition, dull flint,
                            fouled touch-hole, fouled frizzen etc.
                            I have yet to read an account of anyone pissing down the barrel, I'm
                            not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying show me a primary source
                            reference.

                            The importance of "three rounds a minute" is that the line can only
                            fire efficiently or with the most impact in volleys.
                            The slowest loader in the company would therefore control the rate of
                            fire. Three rounds was a great rate of fire when you think that your
                            counting on 40 to 60* men to deliver them at company level and of
                            course 600 to 1000* at battalion level.
                            This becomes very important when faced with an attacking column. The
                            column, impressive though it is, has a small frontage and is densely
                            packed. It can only deliver small amounts of fire. A line can deliver
                            an almost constant rain of lead when the regiment is given the order to
                            fire by company from the left/right/centre (you pick). A Grand
                            Battalion of 1500 to 1600 men are launching in the neighborhood of 100
                            pounds of soft lead every volley.
                            With training, an individual can load and fire five rounds a minute,
                            but those people are the exception. Three is an acceptable norm.

                            As to the comment about individuals firing 6 times a minute by
                            "editing" the process. I feel that if your not using the drill, you're
                            not functioning correctly and therefore records set without the full
                            and proper drill are curiosities nothing more.
                            Three or four rounds rammed and fired using the prescribed drill are
                            impressive. Doing six by cutting corners in my opinion proves nothing
                            if not that the person is flirting with serous injury.

                            Tuppence,

                            Craig W

                            *the actual strength of units is almost always a fraction of what they
                            warranted to have
                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 7, 2004
                              In a message dated 6/10/2004 6:35:25 PM, sgtwarner@... writes:

                              > With training, an individual can load and fire five rounds a minute,
                              > but those people are the exception.

                              We've got one of those in the 93rd....even hunts deer with his Brown Bess....

                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com
                              THE Thin Red Line

                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2004
                                All right already. All this talk about slicing melons at 20 yards and firing
                                in square...
                                So what melons were set up on the ridge at Waterloo in 1815, eh? The French
                                cav got blasted by the artillery and the infantry in square. Fact. No melons to
                                be seen.
                                Previously, at Quatre Bras, the 42nd lost almost an entire company and a
                                colonel when French lancers jumped them. The "however" to the story (of course you
                                knew it was coming!) was these same lancers then attempted to pounce upon the
                                rest of the 42nd as they were still trying to form and close up their square.
                                A number of them galloped into the forming ranks obviously thinking, "Aha! We
                                have these saucy Eccosais types!", only to find themselves trapped inside
                                when the 42nd continued to close square, and themselves Cav types subsequently
                                extinguished.

                                Personal revelation from the 1995 Waterloo event -- The Highland Brigade had
                                our pipers take turns recreating the 79th's Piper. Kenneth McKay's feat of
                                marching about and playing his pipes outside his square at Waterloo. Whilst our
                                pipers did so, not one French horse could even be coerced to get anywhere near
                                our square.
                                So bring on the melons.
                                We've got bagpipes.

                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                THE Thin Red Line

                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  In a message dated 5/10/2004 3:19:17 PM, lalozon@... writes:

                                  > From: "hm95thfoot" <fullerfamily@...>
                                  >
                                  > Then fix swords/bayonets, and form square, my good man! :^)
                                  >

                                  > =========
                                  >
                                  >    At 80 yards they apparently could neither load fast enough
                                  > nor form square by the time the horses were upon them.
                                  >
                                  > L2

                                  Which is why they would fire by files or by sections.

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                  THE Thin Red Line

                                • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 7, 2004
                                    Some additional thoughts on the rate of fire of a musket and other stuff.

                                    Just to get one thing out of the way - I brought the "six shots a minute" thing up, and am surprised that
                                    the immediate reaction of some was that it must have been done by cheating. I have no indication that
                                    this was the case, and in fact, my sources tell me that it was in a controlled competition.

                                    As a comment on an ordered battle line, firing volleys by company etc. according to the best period drill
                                    manual I offer the following eye-witness account:

                                    “What precision of fire can be expected from soldiers when firing in line? One man is priming; another
                                    coming to the present; taking, what is called aim; a fourth ramming down his cartridge. After a few shots
                                    the whole body is closely enveloped in smoke, and the enemy is totally inviisble; some of the soldiers
                                    step out a pace or two, in order to get a better shot; others kneel down; and some have no objection to
                                    retire a step or two. the doomed begin to fall, dreadfully mutilated perhaps, and even bold men shrink
                                    from the sight; others are wounded, and assisted to the rear by their comrades, so that the whole
                                    becomes a line of utter confusion, in which the mass only think of getting heir shots fired, they hardly
                                    care how, or in what direction”.
                                    Maj. Gen. John Mitchell, cited in R. Muir, Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon,
                                    p. 85.

                                    Now, of course, this was not necessarily typical, but it did happen to a well-drilled line on occasion.
                                    This particular chapter in Muir's book (Ch. 5 Infantry Combat) contains many similar observations by
                                    eye-witnesses, and is a realistic counter to the notion of a rigidly inflexible line of redcoats keeping up
                                    sustained rates of fire. The fog of battle often dictates otherwise.

                                    On the suggestion of pissing down the barrel to clean it - just think, who would want to place his
                                    member anywhere near a metal tube that is difficult to hold because of its raised temperature? Seems
                                    like a most foolhardy thing, to threaten with danger the one appendage the soldier prized most ;->)

                                    My thoughts for the moment
                                    Ray Hobbs
                                    41st Regt.

                                  • glifencible
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 9, 2004
                                      > I am trying to find the original reference for three rounds a minute

                                      There is a reference in "Red Coat and Brown Bess" by Anthony Darling:

                                      "On parade he was expected to deliver by word of command one shot
                                      every fifteen seconds."

                                      There is a footnote:

                                      Simes, Thomas The Military Medly,p.23 London 1768. Cited in Peterson,
                                      Op. Cit. P 160. On the battlefield, three shots a minute would
                                      probably be average for a well-trained and disciplined body of men
                                      while advancing.

                                      Regards
                                      Bill
                                    • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 11, 2004
                                        Symes' The Military Medley is available from Kings Arms Press.

                                        Bob Dorian