Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 2217

  • Mark Ibbotson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      Thanks for the reply chaps.

      > Mark:
      > As with all British and Militia unit histories, the best place to start is the National Archives and Library in
      > Ottawa. They have microfilmed documents of all units who served in Canada during the war, including
      > regimental correspondence, standing orders, general orders, returns, and battle reports - and, if you
      > need it, reports on repairing toilets in Quebec (found in the 41st fond)!!
      > Access to these sources is free for researchers, and you never know what you might find.
      > Good hunting
      > Ray Hobbs
      > 41st Regt.
      > Hamilton

      Ray,

      Would the Canadian Archives hold more information regarding the war as opposed to British Archives? Would what is available in Canada also be available over here? (UK) (I can only do N America once a year and for a 2 week period max per visit), though the national archives in Canada are now in my top 10 places to visit.

      > Hi Mark glad to see you are compiling such a unique history. It is truly a
      > large task. The brass cannon that was taken away by mistake was never
      > recovered by the British. I have been trying to track the gun down and have
      > in fact found two museums that claim to have it. One in Georgia and one in
      > Virginia. Once I find out for sure I will let you know.
      >
      > All the best.
      > Kevin Windsor, Curator
      > Lundy's Lane Historical Museum

      Kevin,

      Do any of the British cannon remain from the battle? did these six cannon originate in the same place/ mould? It would be nice to authenticate the two American claims to an authentic cannon of the same batch (if one still exists). What became of the American Gun left behind?

      > Mark
      > I have a fair selection of artillery inventory lists from different parts of
      > the war as well as artillery references in various letters. If you are at
      > Chatham this weekend we'll chat. Otherwise Ill pull out what I've got and
      > post it
      > Regards
      > Richard Feltoe

      Richard,

      I would very much like to view these lists you speak of. I only recieved this email today (monday morning) so a trip to Chatham was out of the question. But yes again I would very much like to view your inventory lists etc.

      Thanks again for the response, very encouraging.

      Ibbo

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        From: "Mark Ibbotson" <ibbo@...>
        Date: 2004/10/04 Mon AM 10:20:36 EST
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Digest Number 2217

        Mark:
        I was unaware that you were writing from "over 'ome". I was in the PRO/NA facilities at Kew last
        November and was able to compare the two institutions. Often with the PRO/NA one can see the
        originals, although they do have microfilms. The Regiment historical stuff in the NA/NL Canada are
        microfilm copies of the same material available at Kew. This was an original project of E.A. Cruikshank,
        and from this material he compiled his multi-volume "Documents" books. In the Canadian collection,
        Don Graves has done some better organization of Cruikshank's material.
        I think that where the Canadian sources have the edge is regarding the local Militia units' records. Also
        correspondence of local Militia leaders.
        As For Royal Artillery, then definitely the Kew collection is best. However, the local stuff related to the
        War of 1812 can be found in Canada.
        Complex, I know.
        Hope this helps
        Ray H