Unit lists

  • Mark Ibbotson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hello all,

      I'm intending to compile a history of the Royal Artillery during this war mostly for my own interest but will be more than happy to share my findings with those who want them.

      What sources of information are available with concern to Royal Artillery during the conflict. Specifically engagements and number/ calibre of cannon used in each.

      Also what would be the best approach to tracking down any of these cannon (if still in existence).

      What happened to the brass cannon the Americans carried off at Lundy's lane? was it ever recovered? does it still exist?.

      What would be the normal procedure when in possesion of captured peices of artillery? were they sent back as trophies or were they put back into service?

      But mostly I am interested in the number of guns and the calibre of those guns present at each engagement.

      Cheers all
      Ubique
      Ibbo
      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        Mark:
        As with all British and Militia unit histories, the best place to start is the National Archives and Library in
        Ottawa. They have microfilmed documents of all units who served in Canada during the war, including
        regimental correspondence, standing orders, general orders, returns, and battle reports - and, if you
        need it, reports on repairing toilets in Quebec (found in the 41st fond)!!
        Access to these sources is free for researchers, and you never know what you might find.
        Good hunting
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.
        Hamilton

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          Mark
          I have a fair selection of artillery inventory lists from different parts of
          the war as well as artillery references in various letters. If you are at
          Chatham this weekend we'll chat. Otherwise Ill pull out what I've got and
          post it
          Regards
          Richard Feltoe
          > I'm intending to compile a history of the Royal Artillery during this war
          mostly for my own interest but will be more than happy to share my findings
          with those who want them.

          > What sources of information are available with concern to Royal Artillery
          during the conflict. Specifically engagements and number/ calibre of cannon
          used in each.

          > Also what would be the best approach to tracking down any of these cannon
          (if still in existence).

          > What happened to the brass cannon the Americans carried off at Lundy's
          lane? was it ever recovered? does it still exist?.

          > What would be the normal procedure when in possesion of captured peices of
          artillery? were they sent back as trophies or were they put back into
          service?

          > But mostly I am interested in the number of guns and the calibre of those
          guns present at each engagement.

          > Cheers all
          > Ubique
          > Ibbo