Re: Battle of the Thames

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2004
      Here is some information to everybody planning on coming to the Battle of
      the Thames in Chatham, Ontario this weekend. Friday is Education day and it
      starts about 8 AM and goes until 3. Please do not set up between these
      times. We have over 3000 kids plus teachers and parents coming in about 120
      buses and hundreds of cars so it is going to be very crowded and you will
      not be permitted to drive onsite between those times.
      Please register in order to get your breakfast and raw foodstuffs to
      make your meals.
      Check out the website www.fairattheforks.com for more information.

      Mark Dickerson
      military co-ordinator
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
        The Battle of the Thames registration page is now operational. Please go to
        www.battleofthethames.ca and click on "Re-enactor Registration". The
        're-enactor information' and 're-enactor registration' pages will pop up.
        Simply click on 'registration' and a word document will open. Simply fill
        it in and return via email or snail mail to
        <mailto:registration@...> registration@...

        Historic Merchants please click on "Vendors" and a 'period vendors' tab will
        come up. Please fill out the form and send it to our beloved Susan Spencer.

        All participants need to register and sign in when they arrive in order to
        be covered by the insurance policy due to the fact that we have horses on
        site and participating in the battle.

        The Battle of the Thames is going to be at 14376 Longwoods Road near
        Thamesville, Ontario.

        Raw food will be provided for units to cook on their own.

        SCHEDULE

        Thursday Oct 3rd- Set up day for all merchants and re-enactors who wish to
        be onsite for Friday.

        Friday Oct 4th is Education Day. Please do not arrive and try to set up
        while the kids are on site.

        Saturday Oct 5th- BATTLE OF THE THAMES and the BALL AT THE FORKES

        Sunday Oct 6th- NO public in attendance, re-enactor only battle and
        commemoration services.

        The Battle of the Thames is going to try and duplicate the original battle
        as reasonably accurate as possible. If the artillery units would be willing
        to participate as either British or American militia, then that would be
        great as no artillery was used during the original battle. Also, if as many
        people as possible are willing to dress as US militia or regulars, that will
        also help. Harrison had about 3500 troops (2300 militia), Tecumseh had
        roughly 500 followers left, and Procter had about 800 regulars. I would
        really like to impress to the public just how outnumbered the 41st Regiment
        and Tecumseh's followers were.

        On Sunday everybody can go back to their original units to participate in
        the "re-enactor only" cross country battle. This will be travelling across
        fields, forests and streams with a very loose script, much like Maryland was
        a few years ago. Sunday IS NOT open to the public.

        Saturday night is the Ball at the Forkes. There is a supper, period dance
        and late night buffet with free bussing to and from the dance. It is going
        to be held at the historic Essex and Kent Regimental Armoury in Chatham. It
        is open to everybody. The FIRST 100 PEOPLE TO REGISTER will receive free
        tickets to the dance and late night buffet. After that the cost is $30. If
        you want to attend the supper, the cost is $55 for everything. Please
        indicate your choice on the registration form.

        All these details are in the re-enactor information page or contact me
        directly with questions.

        Mark Dickerson

        Battle of the Thames-2013

      • JOHN GREIG
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
          Hello Mark,
          I am sorry to bother you here but the link for registration for The Thames will
          not upen for me.
          Can you please register us and reserve tickets for the dance?

          .John  & Eleanor Greig

          56, High Street, Titchmarsh, Kettering,
          Northamptonshire.  NN14 3DF.
          Tele:      01832 732362
          Mobile:  07727 236052
          Email:     je.greig@...

          The Battle of the Thames registration page is now operational. Please go to
          www.battleofthethames.ca and click on "Re-enactor Registration". The
          're-enactor information' and 're-enactor registration' pages will pop up.
          Simply click on 'registration' and a word document will open. Simply fill
          it in and return via email or snail mail to
          <mailto:mailto:registration%40battleofthethames.ca> mailto:registration%40battleofthethames.ca

[...]

        • Kathryn41
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
            Hi Mark,

            I have the same problem. I can get the Re-enactor Registration general information but the link to the actual registration form doesn't work for me either. Do you need to do something to set it to be accessible outside of Canada?

            Thanks,

            Kathryn

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
              The problem my be that the form is a Microsoft Word document. If you right click on this and select "save as" it might work:

              http://www.battleofthethames.ca/content/battleofthethames_reenactors/reenactors_form.doc

              On 2013-06-18, at 10:55 PM, "Kathryn41" <kathryn.schwenger41@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mark,
              >
              > I have the same problem. I can get the Re-enactor Registration general information but the link to the actual registration form doesn't work for me either. Do you need to do something to set it to be accessible outside of Canada?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Kathryn

            • Kathryn41
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
                Thanks Andrew,

                That worked. I have Microsoft Word installed and the information opened in Microsoft Word, but the link just was not active.

                Kathryn

                On 2013-06-18, at 10:55 PM, "Kathryn41" <kathryn.schwenger41@...> wrote:

                > Hi Mark,
                >
                > I have the same problem. I can get the Re-enactor Registration general information but the link to the actual registration form doesn't work for me either. Do you need to do something to set it to be accessible outside of Canada?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Kathryn

              • Mark Dickerson
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
                  Please continue to send in your registrations to the Battle of the Thames.
                  You can either go to the website and download the form, or use the
                  attachment at the end of this email.

                  There are only about 30 free dance tickets left and they are going fast.
                  After they are gone, then it will be $30 to attend the dance. Supper
                  tickets cost $55. Contact me and I will let you know how to pay.

                  Once again, Friday is Ed Day. You are welcome to attend and set up on
                  Thursday. Please do not arrive and try to set up between 8 and 4 on Friday.

                  Mark Dickerson

                  Last name: ____________________ First name: _______________

                  Address: ________________

                  _______________

                  _________________

                  _________________

                  Phone: _______________ Email: ___________

                  Please list all minors that are 15 or younger that will accompany you.

                  ________________________ ____________________________

                  ________________________ ____________________________

                  Are you with: Native___ British______ American _______

                  Are you a combatant? Yes_____ No______

                  Unit: _______________________

                  Tent type: period________ modern __________

                  Do you wish to attend the Ball at the Forks on Saturday night? Yes__ No__

                  Supper, dance & late buffet: $55

                  Dance & late buffet only $30 __

                  (Note: the first 100 to register, will receive free dance tickets. )

                  I agree to be a volunteer of Heritage Days(registered Canadian Charity) for
                  the duration of the Battle of the Thames-2013 event, Oct 4th-Oct 6th, 2013.

                  Signed ________________________________ Date:
                  _________________________

                  Adult sign if 16 or 17 years old: _________________________________________

                  Email this form to: registration@...

                  Or mail to: Battle of the Thames, 1032 Dufferin Ave, Wallaceburg, Ontario,
                  N8A 2V8

                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 17, 2013

                    More updates for the Battle of the Thames.

                    Registration: STILL open!  Go to www.battleofthethames.ca and click on “re-enactor registration” not the pop up window

                                    Sign your form onsite when you arrive.

                    Location: 14376 Longwoods Road, Thamesville, Ontario

                    Thursday Oct 3rd: set up allowed after 12 noon

                    Friday Oct 4th: Education Day- roads are closed from 8AM to 4PM and no vehicles or set up allowed on site

                    Saturday Oct 5th: Battle Day- camp opens 10AM, morning British battalion Drill, noon troops depart for retreat along the Thames, 2:30 battle, camp closes at 5PM, supper guests           depart for Ball at the Forkes in Chatham.  Tickets are still available for the supper and/ or the dance

                    Sunday Oct 6th- NO PUBLIC-morning memorial service, afternoon countryside battle covering forest, swamp, open fields (400 acres), depart for home, any time after 12 noon.

                    Food:  breakfast available for purchase/

                                    Supplied food: onions, potatoes, carrots, bread, peppers, and ½ lb stewing beef/ available starting Friday

                    Firepits: allowed and wood supplied

                    Straw: not supplied

                    Direct questions to me,

                    Mark Dickerson

                    president@...

                  • tom4141fournier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2013

                      I would like to send out congratulations and a hearty thank you to the organizing committee for the Battle of the Thames on behalf of the 41st Regiment.

                      While we were not pleased with the role we had to play, we also realize that you cannot change history!

                      It really appeared that this had all the hallmarks of exceptional organization.  The massive crowd on Saturday was a testament to that!

                      How fortunate that the weather held for Friday and Saturday and another example of the foresight of the committee was to have the fields planted with ground cover for the season so that even with the rain yesterday, everyone was able to get their vehicles in and out with ease.

                      I cannot begin to imagine how many hours went into organizing and running this event.  Congratulations on a great outcome we really appreciate your hard work.

                      Your most humble and obedient Servant,

                      Tom Fournier, Captain

                      41st Regiment of Foot