Re: [WarOf1812] FYI-Canadian War Museum

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
      The gems originally came from the Niagara region. There was a collector
      named Campbell who started the Campbell Military Museum and turned it over
      to his son C.S. Campbell. When C.S. died some of the stuff was taken and
      given to the Cdn War Museum and some was given to us at Lundy's Lane

      some really neat stuff. I know they have a reg'tal sporran of the Royal
      Scots not sure what era it is from though. I have a pic if someone from the
      1st is interested?

      Kevin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hello, Ray;
          Thanks for the update. I was just at the museum myself in February
          and thought it was incredible even in its old configuration. One of
          the site managers there was telling me that the new museum site will
          have enough additional room to display at least a portion of their
          considerable collection of military vehicles. I can only imagine that
          that must mean that they will also have enough new room to display
          other previously unseen items in their collection.

          In February, there still wasn't much to see of the new facility there
          just up the river. What does it look like now?

          Cheers,
          Dave

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
          > List:
          > For those interested, the Canadian War Museum has now closed and
          will be in the process of moving
          > to its new site at Le Breton Flats, Ottawa. I was in Ottawa this
          past week-end and visited the museum at
          > its old location. Many of the exhibits have already been dismatled.
          > The new site will open on May 8th 2005, the 60th anniversary of VE
          Day. The building looks splendid,
          > and will be much larger than the current site.
          > The War of 1812 display, while small, had some gems in it, and I
          hope this will be greatly expanded.
          > Yrs etc.
          > Ray Hobbs
          > 41st Regt
          > Hamilton, Ont.
        • Angela Gottfred
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
            > One of
            > the site managers there was telling me that the new museum site will
            > have enough additional room to display at least a portion of their
            > considerable collection of military vehicles.

            Yes, Vimy House had an incredible collection; many rare & unique items, such as
            a Valentine tank, were recently traded to other museums in exchange for items
            with a more strongly Canadian focus.

            Just might have to go to Ottawa again next year to have a look!

            Your humble servant,
            Angela Gottfred
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
              Not sure of the year and my scanner at work is not working and the
              digital camera is AWOL right now. Let me describe it.
              Plain half moon border with three knobs. (typical sporran type)
              Background.
              leather (unsure since I only have a B&W photo :-( )
              with St Andrew standing in front of cross with one arm (right)draped
              over the cross. He is bare chested and wearing a robe. There are
              two thistles on either side of him coming from a central stock
              (which is under his feet) and all is on top of a scroll which
              reads "THE ROYAL SCOTS"

              Once I get my technology back I will post a pic.
              Kevin

            • HQ93rd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
                In a message dated 7/09/2004 1:43:17 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
                > > That is a curious bird Kevin, what is a lowland regiment doing
                > with a sporran? I can only think it is from a regimental piper
                > though quite when the 1st first had pipers I am not sure, I would
                > think 1820s at theĀ  earliest.

                I have it somewhere buried in a bookcase....but offhand I seem to recall the
                1st (Royal Scots) not "officially" having bagpipers on their rolls until 1918.

                Cheers,
                93rd SHRoFLHU
                www.93rdhighlanders.com
                THE Thin Red Line

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
                  From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@s...>

                  Royal Scots Sporran

                  Plain half moon border with three knobs. (typical sporran type)
                  Background. leather with St Andrew standing in front of cross
                  with one arm (right)draped over the cross. He is bare chested
                  and wearing a robe. There are two thistles on either side of him
                  coming from a central stock (which is under his feet) and all is
                  on top of a scroll which reads "THE ROYAL SCOTS"
                  _____________________

                  Kevin,

                  According to

                  BRITISH INFANTRY UNIFORMS
                  Since 1660
                  by
                  Michael Barthorp
                  Blandford Books Ltd (New Orchard Editions Ltd)
                  ISBN: 1 85079 009 4

                  Appendix 2: Distinctions and Tartans for ... Scottish Regiments 1881-1914

                  ROYAL SCOTS

                  Headdress - Blackcock feathers

                  Tartans ~ Government Set (Sutherland) 1881-1901
                  ~ Hunting Stewart - 1901
                  ~ Royal Stewart (Pipers)

                  Deduction: Pipers = kilts = sporrans

                  Please send me a photo (jpeg) when you get your technology back.
                  Thanking you in advance for this favour,

                  Yrs.,

                  L2