FYI-Canadian War Museum

  • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
      List:
      For those interested, the Canadian War Museum has now closed and will be in the process of moving
      to its new site at Le Breton Flats, Ottawa. I was in Ottawa this past week-end and visited the museum at
      its old location. Many of the exhibits have already been dismatled.
      The new site will open on May 8th 2005, the 60th anniversary of VE Day. The building looks splendid,
      and will be much larger than the current site.
      The War of 1812 display, while small, had some gems in it, and I hope this will be greatly expanded.
      Yrs etc.
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt
      Hamilton, Ont.
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
        The gems originally came from the Niagara region. There was a collector
        named Campbell who started the Campbell Military Museum and turned it over
        to his son C.S. Campbell. When C.S. died some of the stuff was taken and
        given to the Cdn War Museum and some was given to us at Lundy's Lane

        some really neat stuff. I know they have a reg'tal sporran of the Royal
        Scots not sure what era it is from though. I have a pic if someone from the
        1st is interested?

        Kevin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
            Hello, Ray;
            Thanks for the update. I was just at the museum myself in February
            and thought it was incredible even in its old configuration. One of
            the site managers there was telling me that the new museum site will
            have enough additional room to display at least a portion of their
            considerable collection of military vehicles. I can only imagine that
            that must mean that they will also have enough new room to display
            other previously unseen items in their collection.

            In February, there still wasn't much to see of the new facility there
            just up the river. What does it look like now?

            Cheers,
            Dave

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
            > List:
            > For those interested, the Canadian War Museum has now closed and
            will be in the process of moving
            > to its new site at Le Breton Flats, Ottawa. I was in Ottawa this
            past week-end and visited the museum at
            > its old location. Many of the exhibits have already been dismatled.
            > The new site will open on May 8th 2005, the 60th anniversary of VE
            Day. The building looks splendid,
            > and will be much larger than the current site.
            > The War of 1812 display, while small, had some gems in it, and I
            hope this will be greatly expanded.
            > Yrs etc.
            > Ray Hobbs
            > 41st Regt
            > Hamilton, Ont.
          • Angela Gottfred
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
              > One of
              > the site managers there was telling me that the new museum site will
              > have enough additional room to display at least a portion of their
              > considerable collection of military vehicles.

              Yes, Vimy House had an incredible collection; many rare & unique items, such as
              a Valentine tank, were recently traded to other museums in exchange for items
              with a more strongly Canadian focus.

              Just might have to go to Ottawa again next year to have a look!

              Your humble servant,
              Angela Gottfred
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
                Not sure of the year and my scanner at work is not working and the
                digital camera is AWOL right now. Let me describe it.
                Plain half moon border with three knobs. (typical sporran type)
                Background.
                leather (unsure since I only have a B&W photo :-( )
                with St Andrew standing in front of cross with one arm (right)draped
                over the cross. He is bare chested and wearing a robe. There are
                two thistles on either side of him coming from a central stock
                (which is under his feet) and all is on top of a scroll which
                reads "THE ROYAL SCOTS"

                Once I get my technology back I will post a pic.
                Kevin

              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
                  In a message dated 7/09/2004 1:43:17 PM, kevin.windsor@... writes:

                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:
                  > > That is a curious bird Kevin, what is a lowland regiment doing
                  > with a sporran? I can only think it is from a regimental piper
                  > though quite when the 1st first had pipers I am not sure, I would
                  > think 1820s at theĀ  earliest.

                  I have it somewhere buried in a bookcase....but offhand I seem to recall the
                  1st (Royal Scots) not "officially" having bagpipers on their rolls until 1918.

                  Cheers,
                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                  THE Thin Red Line

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
                    From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@s...>

                    Royal Scots Sporran

                    Plain half moon border with three knobs. (typical sporran type)
                    Background. leather with St Andrew standing in front of cross
                    with one arm (right)draped over the cross. He is bare chested
                    and wearing a robe. There are two thistles on either side of him
                    coming from a central stock (which is under his feet) and all is
                    on top of a scroll which reads "THE ROYAL SCOTS"
                    _____________________

                    Kevin,

                    According to

                    BRITISH INFANTRY UNIFORMS
                    Since 1660
                    by
                    Michael Barthorp
                    Blandford Books Ltd (New Orchard Editions Ltd)
                    ISBN: 1 85079 009 4

                    Appendix 2: Distinctions and Tartans for ... Scottish Regiments 1881-1914

                    ROYAL SCOTS

                    Headdress - Blackcock feathers

                    Tartans ~ Government Set (Sutherland) 1881-1901
                    ~ Hunting Stewart - 1901
                    ~ Royal Stewart (Pipers)

                    Deduction: Pipers = kilts = sporrans

                    Please send me a photo (jpeg) when you get your technology back.
                    Thanking you in advance for this favour,

                    Yrs.,

                    L2