Re: [WarOf1812] Authenticity question

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      Thanks for correcting me, Tim.
      Vic
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <BritcomHMP@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 6:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Authenticity question

      > In a message dated 01/09/2004 11:00:56 Central Standard Time,
      > suthren@... writes:
      >
      > Moustaches were also a mark of light
      > cavalry but not otherwise worn. The "sideburns" were to be of the same
      > length as the hair, and the latter to touch the collar but not go below
      it.

      > Actualy Vic it is Hussars that wear moustaches not Light Dragoons so not
      all
      > light cavalry in British service, there is also a reference somewhere to
      the
      > Scots Grays being permited to retain their moustaches (c1814 IIRC) so that
      is
      > it. You are quite correct about the length of the sidewhiskers though
      prior
      > to 1806 only officers, senior NCOs and the drum major were officialy
      permited
      > to wear them (vide the 1803 rules for the Gibraltar garrison)
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Tim

      square miles...

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        Tim's considered response is the correct one "officially permitted" what we
        don't know and cannot know is the extent that variations were tolerated,
        either by Regiments or even on overseas stations.

        Cheers

        P**

        suthren@... writes:

        Moustaches were also a mark of light
        cavalry but not otherwise worn. The "sideburns" were to be of the same
        length as the hair, and the latter to touch the collar but not go below it.

        Actualy Vic it is Hussars that wear moustaches not Light Dragoons so not
        all
        light cavalry in British service, there is also a reference somewhere to the

        Scots Grays being permited to retain their moustaches (c1814 IIRC) so that
        is
        it. You are quite correct about the length of the sidewhiskers though prior
        to 1806 only officers, senior NCOs and the drum major were officialy
        permited
        to wear them (vide the 1803 rules for the Gibraltar garrison)

        square miles...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129il2ega/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1094163453/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
        netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2319498/rand=272387133>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2004
          In a message dated 02/09/2004 01:55:11 Central Standard Time,
          peter.catley@... writes:

          Tim's considered response is the correct one "officially permitted" what we
          don't know and cannot know is the extent that variations were tolerated,
          either by Regiments or even on overseas stations.

          You are quite correct Peter, however there is one foreign station that we DO
          have full details for and that is Gibralta 1803. Those regulations are
          exactly what was enforced in the UK. We also know that the army in North America
          (or at least the Peninsular vets) were most offended by Sir George Preevost's
          insistance that all the dress regulations etc. be adhered to after being used
          to Wellingtons idea that a clean weapon and a full amunition pouch was all
          that was nessasary. Though it is certainly known that Wellington disliked
          beards.

          It depends what a soldier was doing as to wether some of these regulations
          were followed and you can be certain that while they might have been ignored
          during periods of fighting, the long periods of boredom would be filled with
          shaving and mending.

          BTW At the Grand Tactical Doug De Croix modeled his British Officer in the
          Peninsula kit, absolutely splendid impression and virtualy not one item of
          regulation kit in it. However one thing I always insisted on in the early days
          of the NA (and still think aproprate today) is that the new recruit gets full
          dress kit first, it has been my experience that if someone finds they can take
          the field in a makeshift get up when they start they have no incentive to
          get the other kit together. But that is a regimental call.