facial hair

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

      I personally believe that facial hair was more common than the
      purists would have us believe, especially in the case of overseas postings
      such as the Peninsula and Canada.

      No Chelsea Pensioners in Canada or the Peninsula they were all adjacent
      the River Thames in the pastoral setting of Chelsea.

      King Charles was determined to make provision for the soldiers on the
      English
      establishment and on 22nd December 1681 he issued a Royal Warrant
      authorising
      the building of the Royal Hospital.

      Therefore Royal Warrant and to answer Mr. Windsor's question, they
      maintained their
      army rank in the Royal Hospital Chelsea thus came under Warrant rules of the
      Army.

      http://www.chelsea-pensioners.org.uk/

      The term 'Chelsea Pensioner' has been used over the centuries to describe
      both 'In-' and 'Out-Pensioners'.
      An 'In-Pensioner' is simply one who resides in the Royal Hospital Chelsea.
      On entry, he surrenders his army
      pension. An Out-Pensioner is a former soldier of the Regular Army who
      receives a pension for long service
      and/or disability caused through service.

      The term derives from the period when the Royal Hospital was still being
      built. James II, who succeeded King Charles in 1685, made the first attempt
      to put Army pensions on a systematic basis in 1689. He decreed that a daily
      allowance should be made to all soldiers disabled by wounds or accidents,
      who had become unfit for service or who had served for 20 years.

      By the time the Royal Hospital opened there were more Pensioners than places
      available. Those that could not be offered a place were termed
      Out-Pensioners. In 1703 there were as few as 51. However, the increasing
      size of a standing army meant that the number of Out-Pensioners rose
      steadily - from 739 in 1708, to 14,700 in 1763 (after the Seven Years War)
      and 36,757 in 1815.

      The Royal Hospital remained responsible for all army pensions until 1955.

      Interesting ........
    • glifencible
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
        > beards were still associated with the identity of incarcerated
        lunatics or criminals...

        >how do we reason with these sterling chaps and get 'em to see the
        light---er, razor?

        I don't think you can reason with lunatics or criminals! *ducking for
        cover*