Re: [WarOf1812] facial hair

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      Larry makes a good point. I cannot quote any image of Pensioners with facial
      hair, nor orders either for or against. Socially, beards were still
      associated with the identity of incarcerated lunatics or criminals, so it
      may be that the exclusion of facial hair as far as we are concerned (unless
      someone is nuts or a crook) should be universal. Probably means some lads
      will pack up their stuff and go home rather than shave---but we would look
      more like we are supposed to look. Problem is, some otherwise very fine
      re-enactors turn out with jarring full Crimean beards for 1812: how do we
      reason with these sterling chaps and get 'em to see the light---er, razor?
      Vic
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

        I personally believe that facial hair was more common than the
        purists would have us believe, especially in the case of overseas postings
        such as the Peninsula and Canada.

        No Chelsea Pensioners in Canada or the Peninsula they were all adjacent
        the River Thames in the pastoral setting of Chelsea.

        King Charles was determined to make provision for the soldiers on the
        English
        establishment and on 22nd December 1681 he issued a Royal Warrant
        authorising
        the building of the Royal Hospital.

        Therefore Royal Warrant and to answer Mr. Windsor's question, they
        maintained their
        army rank in the Royal Hospital Chelsea thus came under Warrant rules of the
        Army.

        http://www.chelsea-pensioners.org.uk/

        The term 'Chelsea Pensioner' has been used over the centuries to describe
        both 'In-' and 'Out-Pensioners'.
        An 'In-Pensioner' is simply one who resides in the Royal Hospital Chelsea.
        On entry, he surrenders his army
        pension. An Out-Pensioner is a former soldier of the Regular Army who
        receives a pension for long service
        and/or disability caused through service.

        The term derives from the period when the Royal Hospital was still being
        built. James II, who succeeded King Charles in 1685, made the first attempt
        to put Army pensions on a systematic basis in 1689. He decreed that a daily
        allowance should be made to all soldiers disabled by wounds or accidents,
        who had become unfit for service or who had served for 20 years.

        By the time the Royal Hospital opened there were more Pensioners than places
        available. Those that could not be offered a place were termed
        Out-Pensioners. In 1703 there were as few as 51. However, the increasing
        size of a standing army meant that the number of Out-Pensioners rose
        steadily - from 739 in 1708, to 14,700 in 1763 (after the Seven Years War)
        and 36,757 in 1815.

        The Royal Hospital remained responsible for all army pensions until 1955.

        Interesting ........
      • glifencible
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          > beards were still associated with the identity of incarcerated
          lunatics or criminals...

          >how do we reason with these sterling chaps and get 'em to see the
          light---er, razor?

          I don't think you can reason with lunatics or criminals! *ducking for
          cover*