Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 Progressive Campaigner

  • JGIL1812@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
      J-P,

      Many thanks. You're words are well said and to the point.

      John Gilmour
      Royal Engineers

    • Bryan Stefancyk
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
        I am not dividing the hobby - it is a place for like minded people to interact. You can be members of both online groups - I am a member of 40 groups.
        Bryan Stefancyk

        John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...> wrote:

        Sir:

        While I applaud your efforts, the �hard-cores� and the rank-and-file re-enactors on this list have come to a sort of �entente cordiale� after the last flame war that erupted over the subject. By coming along announcing and pronouncing, as you have, you are in danger of upsetting this delicate balance.

        What you preach, sir, is not excellence through esprit-de-corps but elitism. Groups that ARE elites lead others and don�t cut themselves off lest they become inbred. This inbreeding, whether or not they espouse �spit and polish� or not, can produce undisciplined and dangerous individuals that will threaten our hobby.

        My regiment used to participate in an event (not 1812) at Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto until a so-called �elite� group pinned us down in a pen after bursting THROUGH a crowd of spectators and began firing at us with levelled muskets at a range of about 10 metres. We haven�t returned since.

        We may shoot at each other but one hopes that we can all be friends when the shooting stops. Your attempt to draw people away from this list undermines that.

        If you *are* �authentic�, your duty is to educate not separate. Provide insight and share the fruits of your research on this list. Mentor those who wish to hone their impression. The �hard-cores� that do this have my admiration and respect.

        YH&OS

        J-P Johnson
        Bulger's Coy, Royal NFLand Reg't

        Bryan Stefancyk wrote:
        Another thing that seperates authentics in 18th century and 1812 is
        facial hair! Shave it off - it will not hurt! Facial hair absolutely
        destroys an impression - of course if for some crazy reason it is
        documented to your impression... but in reality shave it off - we
        want to portray the norm.
        Just my two cents worth,
        Bryan

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Stefancyk
        wrote:
        > Also check out the great article by progressive Rev. War reenactor
        Todd Post at:
        > http://www.revwarprogressive.org/ under "Philosophy."
        > Cheers,
        > Bryan Stefancyk
        >
        > Kevin Windsor wrote:
        > This is what I can't figue out here is that hardcore is being
        associated
        > with dirty filthy etc.
        > Maybe that is okay for ACW confederates, but for 1812 British
        Regulars NO
        > WAY!!!
        > The mark of a ture hardcore Brit is one who is clean!!! Brass
        clean enough
        > to blind a pencil seller!!
        > CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!! DRILL DRILL DRILL!!!
        >
        > Hardcore is spit and polish and well drilled.

        fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

        > ---------------------------------
        > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        >
        > American Forces Unit Lisiting
        > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
          From: "Bryan Stefancyk" <billyyankjohnnyreb@...>

          Also check out the great article by progressive Rev. War reenactor Todd Post
          at:
          http://www.revwarprogressive.org/ under "Philosophy."

          1812'ers all,

          Unkle Larry is not going to get into this one, as we all know he has
          posted to this subject many times. Rather for those who have emailed off
          list, here is the "Philosophy" Bryan Stefancyk posted to.

          Copied from http://www.revwarprogressive.org / Philosophy /

          __________________

          Going on Campaign...
          Delving into the living conditions of the 18th Century Soldier
          Reprinted with permission from the Brigade Dispatch Vol. XXX No. 4 (Winter
          2000)
          Todd Post 2d Virginia Regiment

          Introduction

          Though a veteran of twelve years in this hobby, I am often reminded that I
          still a "newbie" in the eyes of most of those around me. In an organization
          like the Brigade of the American Revolution, with close to forty years of
          history, twelve years is not much at all. However, it does come with its
          advantages.

          For the serious living historian, coming in late in the game gives you
          opportunities that your predecessors never had. While standing on the
          shoulders of giants it allows you to learn from all the research that they
          had to trail blaze, learn from their mistakes, and set out on new paths to
          push the envelope of authenticity and interpretation.

          Another situation I have benefited from is that of starting a new unit. When
          a career change required me to move to a new location, it also required me
          to create a new "home" for living history. The nucleus of this new group was
          fellow "veterans" of the hobby. While there were research questions to be
          answered as to what our clothes should look like or what cartridge pouch
          pattern we should use, we all had years of living history "know-how" to draw
          upon. It also meant that we all could start with a clean slate. Units are
          like living entities of their own, over time they take on certain
          personalities, certain quirks, and certain bad habits.

          General Steuben is quoted as saying the following regarding the mindset of
          the American solider:

          "In the first place, the genius of this nation is not in the least to be
          compared with that of the Prussians, Austrians, or French. You say to your
          soldier, 'Do this,' and he doeth it, but I am obliged to say, 'This is the
          reason why you ought to do that,' and he does it."

          Some things haven't changed. With forty years of research behind us, we have
          the luxury to look back at where we came from and conduct self-evaluation.
          As Steuben experienced two hundred and twenty-three years ago, some of the
          reasons why we ought to do some of those things we've always done need to be
          reexamined.

          The Campaign Movement

          The American Civil War living history community has been experiencing a
          growing trend in their ranks. They've come to be known by various names:
          campaigner, hard core, serious, progressive, etc., but progressive seems to
          be the most accepted. While "hard core" would imply that if one does not fit
          into this category, you must be something else with a negative connotation,
          and "campaigner" makes people get caught up in whether or nor you use tents,
          which is really not what this is about.

          Campaigners have taken one of the mottoes of the 60s radicals to heart and
          applied them to living history, "Question everything." Like Steuben's
          Continental soldier, they want to know why they ought to do the things they
          do. This desire to rethink how we go about recreating the life and times of
          the common soldier has been coupled with a thirst for higher levels of
          authenticity and enough courage to take a hard stand on sensitive issues in
          living history.

          This hard line grit has some times developed into full-blown evangelical
          zeal in a manner that is counterproductive, turning what they call the "main
          stream" of living history off because of the confrontational nature of their
          delivery. But their goal is true; the purpose of our hobby is to recreate
          the life and times of the common soldier to the best of our ability with the
          highest degree of the historical accuracy based on the best in current
          research.

          As Revolutionary War living history is generally smaller, it has taken
          longer for this to really be called a "movement" as yet, but we are on the
          brink of it. This is not to say that this is a new concept, but the means
          for bringing progressives together within the hobby are making are becoming
          easier. With no rallying point such as the Bicentennial, when national
          attention was focused on our hobby, progressives of the past for the most
          part seem to have operated independently. This is beginning to change. The
          Internet and the commitment of some to pursue this course are acting as the
          binder for campaigning in the Revolutionary War community to truly come
          together and make an impact.

          Progressive: What does it mean?

          Having established the philosophy of "progressive", it is necessary to
          explore what it means to be a progressive. To articulate this is tricky,
          less one falls into the pitfall the "hard core" partisans fall into, which
          is to create a hostile "us versus them" mentality. This does nothing besides
          create animosity and is damaging to the movement itself. The examination of
          what it means to be a progressive is meant to be prevocational though. It is
          meant to stimulate constructive debate and truthful self-reflection. If it
          can create healthy discourse that brings the authenticity of our hobby even
          the slightest bit closer to our goals, it is worth it.

          It is important to note the points about to be outlined are generalizations,
          and as such, needs to be taken within context. They are broad statements
          within the context of what is common to the war, yet might be contrary to
          particular aspects of the war.

          A progressive's main purpose is to recreate the life and times of the common
          soldier to the best of their ability with the highest degree of the
          historical accuracy based on the best in current research. Acceptable
          limitations to accuracy are primarily health and safety. Another constraint
          is those areas where research has been exhausted with no results due to the
          loss of information over time.
          All clothing, accoutrements and personal belongings are of the recreated
          with the highest historical accuracy in materials and construction
          techniques. If an item is available in multiple forms but there is one which
          is of greater accuracy, the more accurate item should be the only
          consideration, regardless of reasonable cost. There is an understanding that
          some items are not available due to the lack of a particular resource or
          skills to reproduce that item.
          Certain aspects of recreating the life of the Revolutionary War soldier can
          not be reproduced such as the considerations of disease or injury. These can
          be interpreted for the general public, but not recreated, as doing so can
          often undermine the importance of these hardships.
          Impressions are based on diligent and exhaustive research, not assumptions
          or speculation. Quality primary research or extensively footnoted secondary
          sources should be the cornerstone of any impression. Research is not static;
          impressions should consistently be examined and reexamined. If in the course
          of this reevaluation of research new information is found with contradicts
          current interpretation, improvements and changes are necessary.
          As with all wars, the common soldier fought the American Revolution and
          impressions should reflect that. My choice of impression should be based on
          what was most common and what areas are glaringly underrepresented within
          the hobby. Consideration should be given to portraying the common foot
          soldier before pursuing specialized troop types. This is not to say that
          certain branches of service or armies should not be recreated, but within
          the ratios they were known to exist during the war.
          Recreating the common soldier means recreating his lifestyle as well.
          Soldiers generally did not have the luxury to have baggage carried for them,
          so personal items should be kept to what the soldier could carry with him.
          Likewise, shared equipment such as tents and cooking equipment should be
          representative of what was commonly available to the soldier, not simply
          common to the period, as life on the home front and in the field were very
          different. While in garrison, soldiers were known to increase their personal
          items, but as most events are representing armies on the move rather than in
          fixed positions, garrison impressions should be limited to the occupation of
          posts or towns, or recreation of sieges.
          Though not always possible, modifications of impressions to better suit
          particular events or scenarios are explored when possible. If a
          progressive's impression is not suitable to a particular event (a
          Continental soldier at Lexington for instance), alterations to the most
          glaring items should be considered.
          As 18th century soldiers were required to perform heavy physical activity,
          those portraying these soldiers should be capable of the same.
          Camp cooking should be representative of what was generally available to the
          soldiers, even if it is just in a "best case" scenario, rather than ornate
          cooking which though period, is more appropriate in a home kitchen.
          The 18th century soldiers life was largely spend away from the battlefield.
          Taking this into consideration, everyday life scenarios are just as worthy
          of recreation as combat recreations. These include, but are not limited to
          drilling, martial ceremonies, sentry duty, food preparation, etc.
          As the war was generally fought using massed troop formations employing
          linear tactics, whenever possible units with consistent safety and
          authenticity levels should be willing to be brigaded together into larger
          formations, no smaller than a platoon (sixteen men). Command structure
          should be in balance with troop strength so that there are no more
          commissioned and non-commissioned officers than which are truly needed to
          manage the troops.
          As 18th century soldiers did not exist in a vacuum, it is necessary to be
          just as knowledgeable regarding the basics of 18th century society and
          material culture. Such knowledge should come from respected sources with
          ample documentation.
          A progressive is a "team player", that is, works well with other units and
          sees events as opportunities to demonstrate by example. It is
          counterproductive to be confrontational or demeaning to others in the living
          history community, the best course of action to spread the campaign
          philosophy is to participate, leading by example while maintaining their own
          standards for themselves.
          The Arguments against Campaigning, and the Rebuttals

          There are many reasons not to be a progressive, but they generally are
          several variations of the same motives; it requires effort. Here are some of
          the most common reasons, and the answers to them.

          "It's too expensive": Living history in general is expensive, but
          campaigning does not add significantly to the cost. Most of the cost is
          incurred in the initial investment of joining a unit and starting from
          scratch. As we are merely "weekend warriors", most of our clothing and
          equipment will last much longer than the 18th century soldier could dream
          of. If while in this initial investment an individual went that extra little
          step to use linen over cotton, or to hand finish their topstitching instead
          of machine stitching, the added cost is not great and the item will last a
          long time. The money you save by not purchasing needless or inappropriate
          impedimenta offsets these added costs. For instance, the $20 more you might
          spend on a linen weskit can be made up for neglecting to buy an undocumented
          lantern stand.

          "It's a family hobby": Families and civilians certainly are important aspect
          of what we recreate, their roles are subject to the same rigors of
          authenticity as the hobby at large. It should not be forgotten that we are
          portraying the War for Independence, which means that realistically the
          military has the emphasis in what we do. Civilians are a very important part
          of adding to the complete landscape of the 18th century soldier, but a
          civilian impression requires the same amount of effort, less their roles are
          trivialized. Civilians always had a reason for being with the army;
          stragglers and idlers however were not tolerated, as they were nothing but a
          liability to an army. Impressions can be developed as wagoneers,
          bateaux-men, artificers, refugees, laundresses, nurses, and petty sutlers,
          which are just some of the portrayals which can be explored. These roles are
          just as educational to the general public as that of a soldier, if not more
          so, as they are often overlooked in our hobby.

          "If you're so authentic, why don't you contract smallpox and use real musket
          balls?": Not to be undiplomatic, but this is truly a "head in the sand"
          response. Rather than looking at what tangible steps campaigning is trying
          to emphasize, detractors are zeroing in on those conditions that can not be
          replicated. What separates from "playing soldier" and "interpretive living
          history" is the willingness to pursue what we can reasonably attempt to
          recreate. Though from an unusual source in a discussion of authenticity, the
          Alcoholics Anonymous prayer which asks for "The serenity to accept the
          things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to
          know the difference" provides a good response to this excuse. We can not
          recreate the hardships of disease, wounds or starvation without trivializing
          them. Hand finishing our seams, using proper materials, and presenting a
          more "martial air" to what we do can be done. The wisdom is knowing the
          difference and acting upon it.

          "We've always done it this way...": For an organization born in the 1960s,
          it should not be too much of a stretch to embrace the ideology of the time
          of "question everything." Though history is in the past, our comprehension
          of it is ever changing. What we knew of the Revolutionary War forty years
          ago is vastly different than what we know today. Failure to implement new
          information as it is discovered is irresponsible interpretative living
          history. We should be able to answer the question the public is bound to
          ask, "Is this really what it was like back then?" with a straight face and
          straight answers. I came across a quote, which I can not place, but I think
          sums it up well: "Questioning is one of the noblest of human acts. As human
          beings require knowledge and truth in order to live successfully,
          questioning is also one of the most selfish of acts...it represents the
          struggle to discover the truth necessary to live."

          "I don't have it documented to the war, but there is an obscure reference
          in...": Documenting an item to your impression is just as important as
          documenting it to the period. For instance, reflecting ovens are well
          documented to the 18th century, however they would be entirely incorrect for
          an army on the move. There might even be items that were issued to the
          armies, but incorrect in the context of which we represent. Bed rugs were
          some times issued in winter garrison, but to have one in your tent while
          portraying a battle which took place during a campaign when two armies
          collided with each other would be just as historically inaccurate as a
          wool/polyester blend blanket. Our portrayals should not only be accurate to
          the period, but accurate to the situation in which the soldiers were living.
          It would be like saying that a vintage 1940s radio could be toted around if
          portraying a soldier of World War II on the beach at Normandy.

          "It's too physically demanding...": A soldier's life was physically
          demanding, therefore recreating the life and times of that soldier will have
          an element of challenge to it. Call it an occupational hazard. However,
          which sounds like more of a challenge? Packing a car, van or truck full of
          equipment, unloading it at the event, hauling it to where you are encamped
          for the weekend, packing the car, van or truck again at the end of the
          weekend and unloading it back at home. Or, leaving your gear in its
          period-correct packs and walking in and out of the event with those packs?

          Some Final Words on Campaigning

          Campaigning appears to be the "next step" in living history, the next
          evolution in a hobby that is based on history, but should always be
          changing. While it requires a greater attention to detail and perhaps a
          greater degree of effort in certain areas, campaigning also eases our burden
          and is easier on our pockets in other ways.

          The ideas and views expressed in this article are meant to advocate
          campaigning, not demand it. The Brigade of the American Revolution has
          membership rolls in the thousands and some might take up campaigning, some
          may choose not to. This is a personal decision either way. It is my hope
          though that this article was food for thought.

          When we consider how much time, money and energy we invest in living
          history, we should also consider why. Is it just to "play soldier"? That can
          be achieved at the local video arcade or paintball establishment. If it is
          to understand and appreciate the "adventures, dangers, and sufferings of a
          Revolutionary soldier" as Joseph Plum Martin referred to his life as, we
          need to approach it with the level of detail it deserves.

          See you on campaign...

          This article was inspired by "The Campaigner's Manifesto" by Nicky Hughes
          regarding American Civil War living history. Thanks to Chris Anderson 2d
          Virginia Regiment, Mark Hubbs Garrison Regiment , Chuck LeCount North
          Carolina Volunteers, Greg Theberge 40th Regiment of Foot, Light Infantry,
          and Rob Weber Steven's Brigade, Virginia Militia for their input.

          __________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2004
              Well said JP. Those who know have an obligation to teach those who don't.
              If those who don't, won't there is nothing you can do but move on to those
              who do. Mentoring is the way to go in this hobby. I mentor some new
              members of the 89th (as all veterans of the 89th are required to do) and I
              have a mentor as well and he teaches me to be a better officer.
              Share your knowledge. Don't be so old school re-enactor and say "I know
              something you don't know" those days are long gone.

              Kevin
              89th

              While I applaud your efforts, the "hard-cores" and the rank-and-file
              re-enactors on this list have come to a sort of "entente cordiale" after the
              last flame war that erupted over the subject. By coming along announcing
              and pronouncing, as you have, you are in danger of upsetting this delicate
              balance.
            • glifencible
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2004
                >Those who know have an obligation to teach those who don't. If those
                who don't, won't there is nothing you can do but move on to those who do.

                Wow! :P