RE: Re: [WarOf1812] a proper sea

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3 11:35 PM
      The last sentiment I join with!

      P**
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ray.hobbs@... [mailto:ray.hobbs@...]
      Sent: 03 August 2004 23:31
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Re: [WarOf1812] a proper sea

      For the record - the English Channel is about twice the size of Lake
      Ontario, which makes the latter big
      enough for the kinds of naval warfare that took place from 1812-1814.
      The figures of the naval engagements are favourably compared with the land
      battles in Upper Canada.
      In May/June of 1813 Vincent's "Centre Division" amounted to just over 1600
      men.

      Now, of course, it ain't salty. But it's damn unpredictable, as is its
      partner, Lake Erie. Witness the
      hundreds of wrecks around their shores.

      Interesting though - the US victory on Lake Erie, and the sort-of standstill
      on Lake Ontario did not result
      in US dominance on land in Upper Canada. 'Cept for one or two encounters,
      like York, Ft George and
      Chippawa, but IMHO they were not properly exploited. (I guess that makes
      three ;->))

      However, I raise a glass to all who fought on both sides for what they
      believed in. But, I lean towards
      His Majesty's cause.

      My musings.

      See many of you at Fort Erie this coming week-end.
      Yr H&OS
      Ray Hobbs
      CO 41st Regt
      HQ Hamilton, Ontario

      square miles...

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129rqi581/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091658649/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
      anion.yahoo.com> click here

      :HM/A=2128215/rand=163295378>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • ebclemson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5 6:35 PM
        Hey Ray,

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
        > Interesting though - the US victory on Lake Erie, and the sort-of
        stand still on Lake Ontario did not result
        > in US dominance on land in Upper Canada. 'Cept for one or two
        encounters, like York, Ft George and
        > Chippawa, but IMHO they were not properly exploited. (I guess that
        makes three ;->))

        Dave: Skaggs and Altoff in their book "Signal Victory" on page 153
        state that "For the American crews there was no rest; they
        immediately began refurbishing the ships of both squadrons and
        preparing to transport General Harrison's Northwestern Army across
        the lake. page 159 ".... Meanwhile the commodore refused to rest on
        his laurels. The whole purpose of winning lake Erie was to obtain a
        secure line of supply for General Harrison's Detroit
        campaign. ...Upon retaking Detroit and destroying British Indian
        resistance in southwestern Upper Canada at the battle of the Thames,
        Perry's squadron transferred elements of Harrison's army from the
        Detroit frontier to the Niagara frontier to augment the campaign in
        that theater."

        > However, I raise a glass to all who fought on both sides for what
        they believed in. But, I lean towards
        > His Majesty's cause.
        Ray Hobbs
        > CO 41st Regt
        > HQ Hamilton, Ontario

        Dave: Ray, I'll join you in that drink! and I lean towards
        Freedom's cause.

        Wish I could join you all at Fort Erie this year, but will be at the
        Grand national event next year.

        Cheers,
        Cap'n Dave
        1st U.States Infantry
      • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5 9:50 PM
          Dave:
          Thanks for the reference. A brief comment - such advantages as were gained at the Battle of Lake Erie
          are of no long term benefit unless they are fully exploited. As I recall from my reading, Harrison
          withdrew from Moraviantown to Detroit. Militia and some British regulars were active in the area
          thereafter.
          McArthur's and Campbell's raids did not accomplish very much, except a few bonfires. John Norton in
          his journal notes that the buildings McArthur burnt were replaced within a few months of his raid, and at
          a tiny fraction of the cost of bringing his troops the distance he did.
          It seems to me that if the US forces in late 1813 and then in early 1814 had pushed hard to Burlington
          Heights - something the British always feared - then the victory at sea (or lake) would have been a
          fitting prelude to the takeover of Upper Canada. The three most important roads in Upper Canada met
          within a mile of the Heights - [1] the road to York and Kingston, [2] the road to Brant's Ford and the
          Thames Valley, and the 'bread basket' of Norfolk County; [3] the road to Niagara and Forts George and
          Erie. Capture this link, and you control the western part of the Province.
          I wonder how little the US generals knew about the chaotic state of the British and the low state of their
          morale in and around Burlington Heights from October 1813. Their original plan was to retreat as far as
          Kingston at least, but preferably to Montreal and Quebec. The awful weather and the poor state of the
          roads held them at the Head of the Lake. Vincent complained that he had no water transport - the 'fleet'
          of batteaux he had would not float!!
          He also complained thst by the end of September 1813 all but a few of his staff were sick, and over half
          his army was sick. I am not saying they would have been a pushover, but if the US cards had been
          played right, who knows what might have happened after Lake Erie and Moraviantown.
          My two cents' worth
          Ray
          PS: Look forward to meeting you next year at the Grand Tactical.

          > From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>
          > Date: 2004/08/05 Thu PM 09:35:07 EST
          > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] a proper sea
          >
          > Hey Ray,

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
          > Interesting though - the US victory on Lake Erie, and the sort-of
          stand still on Lake Ontario did not result
          > in US dominance on land in Upper Canada.  'Cept for one or two
          encounters, like York,  Ft George and
          > Chippawa, but IMHO they were not properly exploited. (I guess that
          makes three ;->))

          Dave: Skaggs and Altoff in their book "Signal Victory" on page 153
          state that "For the American crews there was no rest; they
          immediately began refurbishing the ships of both squadrons and
          preparing to transport General Harrison's Northwestern Army across
          the lake.  page 159 ".... Meanwhile the commodore refused to rest on
          his laurels. The whole purpose of winning lake Erie was to obtain a
          secure line of supply for General Harrison's Detroit
          campaign.  ...Upon retaking Detroit and destroying British Indian
          resistance in southwestern Upper Canada at the battle of the Thames,
          Perry's squadron transferred elements of Harrison's army from the
          Detroit frontier to the Niagara frontier to augment the campaign in
          that theater."

          > However, I raise a glass to all who fought on both sides for what
          they believed in. But, I lean towards
          > His Majesty's cause.
          Ray Hobbs