a proper sea

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
      From: <ray.hobbs@...>

      " For the record - the English Channel is about twice the size of Lake
      Ontario,
      which makes the latter big enough for the kinds of naval warfare that took
      place
      from 1812-1814.... Now, of course, it ain't salty. ..."

      Commander Hobbs,

      Thanks for translating North American into Welsh (Welch) for Mr. P**

      ... further, they ain't salty, but do contain some of the largest Salt Mines
      in the
      world, one being under the Detroit River.

      Yhs.,

      L2
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
        Its still not the sea :-)

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2004
          The last sentiment I join with!

          P**
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2004
            Hey Ray,

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
            > Interesting though - the US victory on Lake Erie, and the sort-of
            stand still on Lake Ontario did not result
            > in US dominance on land in Upper Canada. 'Cept for one or two
            encounters, like York, Ft George and
            > Chippawa, but IMHO they were not properly exploited. (I guess that
            makes three ;->))

            Dave: Skaggs and Altoff in their book "Signal Victory" on page 153
            state that "For the American crews there was no rest; they
            immediately began refurbishing the ships of both squadrons and
            preparing to transport General Harrison's Northwestern Army across
            the lake. page 159 ".... Meanwhile the commodore refused to rest on
            his laurels. The whole purpose of winning lake Erie was to obtain a
            secure line of supply for General Harrison's Detroit
            campaign. ...Upon retaking Detroit and destroying British Indian
            resistance in southwestern Upper Canada at the battle of the Thames,
            Perry's squadron transferred elements of Harrison's army from the
            Detroit frontier to the Niagara frontier to augment the campaign in
            that theater."

            > However, I raise a glass to all who fought on both sides for what
            they believed in. But, I lean towards
            > His Majesty's cause.
            Ray Hobbs
            > CO 41st Regt
            > HQ Hamilton, Ontario

            Dave: Ray, I'll join you in that drink! and I lean towards
            Freedom's cause.

            Wish I could join you all at Fort Erie this year, but will be at the
            Grand national event next year.

            Cheers,
            Cap'n Dave
            1st U.States Infantry
          • ray.hobbs@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5, 2004
              Dave:
              Thanks for the reference. A brief comment - such advantages as were gained at the Battle of Lake Erie
              are of no long term benefit unless they are fully exploited. As I recall from my reading, Harrison
              withdrew from Moraviantown to Detroit. Militia and some British regulars were active in the area
              thereafter.
              McArthur's and Campbell's raids did not accomplish very much, except a few bonfires. John Norton in
              his journal notes that the buildings McArthur burnt were replaced within a few months of his raid, and at
              a tiny fraction of the cost of bringing his troops the distance he did.
              It seems to me that if the US forces in late 1813 and then in early 1814 had pushed hard to Burlington
              Heights - something the British always feared - then the victory at sea (or lake) would have been a
              fitting prelude to the takeover of Upper Canada. The three most important roads in Upper Canada met
              within a mile of the Heights - [1] the road to York and Kingston, [2] the road to Brant's Ford and the
              Thames Valley, and the 'bread basket' of Norfolk County; [3] the road to Niagara and Forts George and
              Erie. Capture this link, and you control the western part of the Province.
              I wonder how little the US generals knew about the chaotic state of the British and the low state of their
              morale in and around Burlington Heights from October 1813. Their original plan was to retreat as far as
              Kingston at least, but preferably to Montreal and Quebec. The awful weather and the poor state of the
              roads held them at the Head of the Lake. Vincent complained that he had no water transport - the 'fleet'
              of batteaux he had would not float!!
              He also complained thst by the end of September 1813 all but a few of his staff were sick, and over half
              his army was sick. I am not saying they would have been a pushover, but if the US cards had been
              played right, who knows what might have happened after Lake Erie and Moraviantown.
              My two cents' worth
              Ray
              PS: Look forward to meeting you next year at the Grand Tactical.

              > From: "ebclemson" <ebclemson@...>
              > Date: 2004/08/05 Thu PM 09:35:07 EST
              > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] a proper sea
              >
              > Hey Ray,

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <ray.hobbs@s...> wrote:
              > Interesting though - the US victory on Lake Erie, and the sort-of
              stand still on Lake Ontario did not result
              > in US dominance on land in Upper Canada.  'Cept for one or two
              encounters, like York,  Ft George and
              > Chippawa, but IMHO they were not properly exploited. (I guess that
              makes three ;->))

              Dave: Skaggs and Altoff in their book "Signal Victory" on page 153
              state that "For the American crews there was no rest; they
              immediately began refurbishing the ships of both squadrons and
              preparing to transport General Harrison's Northwestern Army across
              the lake.  page 159 ".... Meanwhile the commodore refused to rest on
              his laurels. The whole purpose of winning lake Erie was to obtain a
              secure line of supply for General Harrison's Detroit
              campaign.  ...Upon retaking Detroit and destroying British Indian
              resistance in southwestern Upper Canada at the battle of the Thames,
              Perry's squadron transferred elements of Harrison's army from the
              Detroit frontier to the Niagara frontier to augment the campaign in
              that theater."

              > However, I raise a glass to all who fought on both sides for what
              they believed in. But, I lean towards
              > His Majesty's cause.
              Ray Hobbs