Re: [WarOf1812] Native women dresses

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      http://museum.gov.ns.ca/arch/infos/mikmaq1.htm

      http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mikmaq/
      has many portraits here

      If you try searching for Mi'kmaq (pronounced mig' ma) and not Mic Mac you
      will find more.

      Good luck
      Kevin

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        From: "maggie and wayne" <mmagm@...>

        ... been searching for Native Dresses on the web ...but come up
        ... ANY help you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

        Angus,
        The book

        Indian Clothing Of The Great Lakes : 1740 -1840
        by Sheryl Hartman
        Illustrated by Greg Hudson & Joe Lee
        Eagle's View Publishing Company
        706 W. Riverdale Road
        Ogden, UT USA 84405

        ISBN 0-943604-16-8

        A great reference with Women's and Men's clothing as well as research
        bibliography.
        A section on 'Recreating Woodland Indian Clothing 18th & 19th Century' also.

        Yrs.,
        L2
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          From: "maggie and wayne" mmagm@...

          My wife (Hummingbird) does an impression of a MicMac woman

          From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

          http://museum.gov.ns.ca/arch/infos/mikmaq1.htm
          http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mikmaq/ has many portraits here

          ------------

          Angus,

          Is your wife looking for an 1812 impression?

          As Kevin's website states:

          "The First Nations People of Nova Scotia are known as the Mi'kmaq. At the
          time of first contact with European explorers in the 16th and 17th centuries
          the Mi'kmaq lived in the region now known as the Maritime provinces and the
          Gaspé peninsula. Later they also settled in New England and Newfoundland. "

          and seems to be a 16/17th C impression.
          Thus an 1812 impression would be different?!?!?

          Wolf, HELP!

          Yrs.,

          L2