Native women dresses

  • maggie and wayne
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi all.
      My wife (Hummingbird) does an impression of a MicMac woman and would
      love to 'expand' her clothing beyond the long shirt, sash and leggings'
      look. I've been searching for Native Dresses on the web but come up
      mainly with Western Plains Indian fringed leather dresses (like in
      'Dances with Wolves'). Fantastic but not I think what was worn in the NE
      (Lake Champlain area) back in the F&I and Rev War period.
      ANY help you can send my way will be greatly appreciated. (pics, web
      sites, patterns, advice, whatever!)
      Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you at Crown Point in a few
      weeks.

      Angus (from 'Angus Arms')

      Rogers' Rangers
      James Coy
      Montreal
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        http://museum.gov.ns.ca/arch/infos/mikmaq1.htm

        http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mikmaq/
        has many portraits here

        If you try searching for Mi'kmaq (pronounced mig' ma) and not Mic Mac you
        will find more.

        Good luck
        Kevin

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          From: "maggie and wayne" <mmagm@...>

          ... been searching for Native Dresses on the web ...but come up
          ... ANY help you can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

          Angus,
          The book

          Indian Clothing Of The Great Lakes : 1740 -1840
          by Sheryl Hartman
          Illustrated by Greg Hudson & Joe Lee
          Eagle's View Publishing Company
          706 W. Riverdale Road
          Ogden, UT USA 84405

          ISBN 0-943604-16-8

          A great reference with Women's and Men's clothing as well as research
          bibliography.
          A section on 'Recreating Woodland Indian Clothing 18th & 19th Century' also.

          Yrs.,
          L2
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
            From: "maggie and wayne" mmagm@...

            My wife (Hummingbird) does an impression of a MicMac woman

            From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

            http://museum.gov.ns.ca/arch/infos/mikmaq1.htm
            http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mikmaq/ has many portraits here

            ------------

            Angus,

            Is your wife looking for an 1812 impression?

            As Kevin's website states:

            "The First Nations People of Nova Scotia are known as the Mi'kmaq. At the
            time of first contact with European explorers in the 16th and 17th centuries
            the Mi'kmaq lived in the region now known as the Maritime provinces and the
            Gaspé peninsula. Later they also settled in New England and Newfoundland. "

            and seems to be a 16/17th C impression.
            Thus an 1812 impression would be different?!?!?

            Wolf, HELP!

            Yrs.,

            L2