RE: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

  • Peter Catley
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
      Yes, but it is still not "proper" sea!

      Cheers.

      P**

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Larry Lozon [mailto:lalozon@...]
      Sent: 02 August 2004 18:12
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

      From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

      At least its a port! if only on a Lake :-)

      -----------

      My Dear Mr. P**, et al

      The Great Lakes, Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and
      Ontario and their connecting
      channels form the largest fresh surface water system on Earth. If you stood
      on the moon, you could
      see the lakes ... from:
      http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/geog/intro/intro_1.html

      Also known as the Inland Sea ....... almost the size the British Isles you
      call 'ome.
      Also consists of Lake Sainte Clair the home of the first shipwreck on the
      Great Lakes.

      A Great event at Fort Amherstburg (Fort Malden) south of Detroit/Windsor
      over the weekend. The
      breeze off the Detroit River (wider than a lot of so called lakes) was
      lovely, the wooded site
      on the banks of said River housed Romans, 1650, 1812, 1830, 1837, 1879, Boar
      War, WW1,
      WW2, Allied and German soldiers. A very re-enactor friendly site.

      Thanks to John MacLeod and all his crew.

      Squire Jon,

      The Great Lakes and islands within them have more than 10,000 miles of
      coastline
      a wee bit too much for you to see during your visit to the Colonies ....
      soooooon!

      Yrs.,

      L2

      square miles...

      ---------------------------------
      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i71j4p/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091553176/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
      anion.yahoo.com> click here

      :HM/A=2128215/rand=656629283>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
        Ah P*

        Don't tell that to the men of the Fitzgerald!!!! The Lakes have tamed many a
        seasoned sailor. All ended up in port.

        JG/RE

      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
          Ah John,

          It seems a terrible waste of port to put a sailor in it!

          Bob/USE
        • JGIL1812@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2004
            Sir Bob,

            Not at all. Many times I've immersed myself in "port" and it has always
            cleansed away the grit of the march and I find myself a better man because of it!

            Now if you're saying we shouldn't 'waste' our 'ports' on sailor types....
            That's another subject!

            Your Humble Servant,
            JG/RE & Savior of the British Empire

          • roy winders
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 23, 2008
              On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I would like to thank our Colonel Bob Blakely,
              Ian Bell and all who helped to make this past weekend such a success, cant wait for
              next year.
              Roy Winders, Capt.
              B.I.D.

            • roy winders
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2009
                All,
                better late than never, Port Dover pics have now been downloaded to our site.
                www.bid-1812.com
                Capt. Merengue.

              • roy winders
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
                  On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I would like to thank the organizers and volunteers
                  for all their hard work in making this years Port Dover event so enjoyable,
                  nice camp layout and an amazing beach battle that left me hoarse. I'm embarrassed
                  to say that pollen made me retire from the field during both land battles.
                  Roy Winders, Capt.B.I.D,