Re: [WarOf1812] Recreated Units on the 1812 Yahoo Groups List 8.2

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2004
      In a message dated 30/07/2004 22:09:27 Central Standard Time,
      dancingbobd@... writes:

      I respectfully request some information about the Royal Military Asylum.

      Dear Bob,

      As Peters excellent reply is so comprehensive I have only one thing to add.
      The uniforms of the asylum were included in the magnificent series of
      paintings by Dubois-Drahonet in 1831, somewhat later than our period but the standard
      bearer is still wearing the 1812 pattern shako. The Drum Major is shown in
      cocked hat and the musitian in a forrage cap with the very wide top. The blue
      trousers come almost under the armpits over a red shirt or very light loose
      cut jacket.