Re: Light Infantry Drill

  • giiir
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3 6:35 AM
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "grenadier1815"
      <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
      > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
      time?
      > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
      > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
      > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
      >
      > Tres

      I unfortunately posted my reply before adding the appropriate e.mail
      contacts in the UK for the 68th.
      You can either contact Jeff's widow, gillian at
      <jeff.peacock@...> or the commander of the Durhams, Capt.
      Rob Yuill at<rkyuill@...>
      I am sure that you would find this video very helpful.
      Fred Fishell, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
    • craig w
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 5:51 PM
        > Grenadier1815@... writes:
        >
        > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
        > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
        > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
        > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
        >

        > Tres,

        As you are probably aware there are a variety of Brit light infantry
        manuals for this period.
        There are units using the Cooper and some using Campbell.
        Campbell is an advanced system requiring more individual action on the
        soldiers part and is probably the most "up-to-date" at that time.

        Tim"s point about the necessity of any light infantryman to be
        completely fluent in the regular manual and abstract is actually backed
        up in most manuals and should be taken strictly to heart. Know the
        basics before going to the next level. You will be called upon to
        function with other troops which means that you still have to be able
        to march in "ordinary" and wheel left, right or backwards etc.

        Craig Williams