Re: Light Infantry Drill

  • grenadier1815
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      Thanks for the help, I'll contact you off list to work out the
      details.
    • giiir
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "grenadier1815"
        <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
        > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
        time?
        > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
        > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
        > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
        >
        > Tres

        The Durham Light Infantry demonstration team (LXVIII Regiment of
        foot) is the premier light infantry unit in re-enacting. The North
        American contingent was fortunate to be brigaded with them at
        Waterloo in 1990 and 1995. I was also lucky enough to go with them to
        Malta at a subsequent event. I was able to establish a great raport
        with them and subsequently was given an honourary member ship in this
        unit, of which I am inordinately proud. A year ago last Christmas the
        late Jeff Peacock (Serjeant of the Durhams and Serjeant Major of the
        British Composite Battalion) sent me a videotape of Light Infantry
        Drill and Evolutions which the 68th had made as a fund raiser. It is
        very good! Incidentally Jeff Peacock was also the advisor on Infantry
        drill and manoeuvers for the BBC productions of The Hornblower
        Series. I loaned this video to Peter Twist, who unfortunately lost it.
        I am sure that you could purchase a copy from them
      • giiir
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
          <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
          > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
          time?
          > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
          > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
          > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
          >
          > Tres

          I unfortunately posted my reply before adding the appropriate e.mail
          contacts in the UK for the 68th.
          You can either contact Jeff's widow, gillian at
          <jeff.peacock@...> or the commander of the Durhams, Capt.
          Rob Yuill at<rkyuill@...>
          I am sure that you would find this video very helpful.
          Fred Fishell, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
        • craig w
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
            > Grenadier1815@... writes:
            >
            > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
            > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
            > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
            > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
            >

            > Tres,

            As you are probably aware there are a variety of Brit light infantry
            manuals for this period.
            There are units using the Cooper and some using Campbell.
            Campbell is an advanced system requiring more individual action on the
            soldiers part and is probably the most "up-to-date" at that time.

            Tim"s point about the necessity of any light infantryman to be
            completely fluent in the regular manual and abstract is actually backed
            up in most manuals and should be taken strictly to heart. Know the
            basics before going to the next level. You will be called upon to
            function with other troops which means that you still have to be able
            to march in "ordinary" and wheel left, right or backwards etc.

            Craig Williams