Re: [WarOf1812] Light Infantry Drill

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:40:40 Central Standard Time,
      Grenadier1815@... writes:

      What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
      Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
      light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
      the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north

      Tres,

      I have the basic manual and can suply you with a copy. Light infantry did
      the same drill as everybody else and then added to to that various specific
      'light' extras such as the skirmish line, and the whistle commands.
      The basic Brigade drill is the Sergeants Abstract of the Rules and
      Regulations for the Rules and Regulations for the Formations, Manouvers and Field
      Excersise of His Majesties Forces. 1811.

      Initialy I will be happy to give the unit drill instruction if you wish
      untill the unit can get together with the Brigade Sergant Major. I am very happy
      that the British contingent in the New Orleans area is growing. I look
      forward to seeing you in January if not before, we usualy have drill sessions there
      too and you will be very welcome to join in.

    • grenadier1815
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        Thanks for the help, I'll contact you off list to work out the
        details.
      • giiir
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "grenadier1815"
          <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
          > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
          time?
          > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
          > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
          > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
          >
          > Tres

          The Durham Light Infantry demonstration team (LXVIII Regiment of
          foot) is the premier light infantry unit in re-enacting. The North
          American contingent was fortunate to be brigaded with them at
          Waterloo in 1990 and 1995. I was also lucky enough to go with them to
          Malta at a subsequent event. I was able to establish a great raport
          with them and subsequently was given an honourary member ship in this
          unit, of which I am inordinately proud. A year ago last Christmas the
          late Jeff Peacock (Serjeant of the Durhams and Serjeant Major of the
          British Composite Battalion) sent me a videotape of Light Infantry
          Drill and Evolutions which the 68th had made as a fund raiser. It is
          very good! Incidentally Jeff Peacock was also the advisor on Infantry
          drill and manoeuvers for the BBC productions of The Hornblower
          Series. I loaned this video to Peter Twist, who unfortunately lost it.
          I am sure that you could purchase a copy from them
        • giiir
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
            <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
            > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
            time?
            > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
            > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
            > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
            >
            > Tres

            I unfortunately posted my reply before adding the appropriate e.mail
            contacts in the UK for the 68th.
            You can either contact Jeff's widow, gillian at
            <jeff.peacock@...> or the commander of the Durhams, Capt.
            Rob Yuill at<rkyuill@...>
            I am sure that you would find this video very helpful.
            Fred Fishell, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
          • craig w
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
              > Grenadier1815@... writes:
              >
              > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
              > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
              > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
              > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
              >

              > Tres,

              As you are probably aware there are a variety of Brit light infantry
              manuals for this period.
              There are units using the Cooper and some using Campbell.
              Campbell is an advanced system requiring more individual action on the
              soldiers part and is probably the most "up-to-date" at that time.

              Tim"s point about the necessity of any light infantryman to be
              completely fluent in the regular manual and abstract is actually backed
              up in most manuals and should be taken strictly to heart. Know the
              basics before going to the next level. You will be called upon to
              function with other troops which means that you still have to be able
              to march in "ordinary" and wheel left, right or backwards etc.

              Craig Williams