Light Infantry Drill

  • grenadier1815
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
      Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
      light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
      the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north

      Tres
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:40:40 Central Standard Time,
        Grenadier1815@... writes:

        What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
        Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
        light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
        the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north

        Tres,

        I have the basic manual and can suply you with a copy. Light infantry did
        the same drill as everybody else and then added to to that various specific
        'light' extras such as the skirmish line, and the whistle commands.
        The basic Brigade drill is the Sergeants Abstract of the Rules and
        Regulations for the Rules and Regulations for the Formations, Manouvers and Field
        Excersise of His Majesties Forces. 1811.

        Initialy I will be happy to give the unit drill instruction if you wish
        untill the unit can get together with the Brigade Sergant Major. I am very happy
        that the British contingent in the New Orleans area is growing. I look
        forward to seeing you in January if not before, we usualy have drill sessions there
        too and you will be very welcome to join in.

      • grenadier1815
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
          Thanks for the help, I'll contact you off list to work out the
          details.
        • giiir
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "grenadier1815"
            <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
            > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
            time?
            > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
            > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
            > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
            >
            > Tres

            The Durham Light Infantry demonstration team (LXVIII Regiment of
            foot) is the premier light infantry unit in re-enacting. The North
            American contingent was fortunate to be brigaded with them at
            Waterloo in 1990 and 1995. I was also lucky enough to go with them to
            Malta at a subsequent event. I was able to establish a great raport
            with them and subsequently was given an honourary member ship in this
            unit, of which I am inordinately proud. A year ago last Christmas the
            late Jeff Peacock (Serjeant of the Durhams and Serjeant Major of the
            British Composite Battalion) sent me a videotape of Light Infantry
            Drill and Evolutions which the 68th had made as a fund raiser. It is
            very good! Incidentally Jeff Peacock was also the advisor on Infantry
            drill and manoeuvers for the BBC productions of The Hornblower
            Series. I loaned this video to Peter Twist, who unfortunately lost it.
            I am sure that you could purchase a copy from them
          • giiir
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
              <Grenadier1815@b...> wrote:
              > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this
              time?
              > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
              > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
              > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
              >
              > Tres

              I unfortunately posted my reply before adding the appropriate e.mail
              contacts in the UK for the 68th.
              You can either contact Jeff's widow, gillian at
              <jeff.peacock@...> or the commander of the Durhams, Capt.
              Rob Yuill at<rkyuill@...>
              I am sure that you would find this video very helpful.
              Fred Fishell, Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
            • craig w
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
                > Grenadier1815@... writes:
                >
                > What Light infantry manual are the Crown Forces using at this time?
                > Some of us down here along the gulf coast are thinknig of doing a
                > light company of the King's Own, and we want to make sure we are on
                > the same page so that we can look smart when we come up north
                >

                > Tres,

                As you are probably aware there are a variety of Brit light infantry
                manuals for this period.
                There are units using the Cooper and some using Campbell.
                Campbell is an advanced system requiring more individual action on the
                soldiers part and is probably the most "up-to-date" at that time.

                Tim"s point about the necessity of any light infantryman to be
                completely fluent in the regular manual and abstract is actually backed
                up in most manuals and should be taken strictly to heart. Know the
                basics before going to the next level. You will be called upon to
                function with other troops which means that you still have to be able
                to march in "ordinary" and wheel left, right or backwards etc.

                Craig Williams