Re: England had America

  • grenadier1815
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
      St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
      Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
      the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
      Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
      Mexico. Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
      Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
      named New Richmond)

      Tres

      > East and West Florida.
      > Which included what is now St. Bernard Parish where the Battle of
      New Orleans
      > was fought, and the town of 'New Richmond' now known as Baton
      Rouge, State

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
        In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:29:22 Central Standard Time,
        Grenadier1815@... writes:

        St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
        Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
        the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
        Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
        Mexico.
        Actualy Tres I was surprised too, but it was Bill Highland who told me that
        part of 'the parish' was once British and though I have not checked it myself
        I felt confident in repeating what he said in this forum.

        Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
        Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
        named New Richmond)

        I think you will find that is what most locals thought, not the British. If
        New Richmond had only been the fort then I think it would have had the title
        'fort' in front of it. I seem to recall for the British the fort was called
        Fort Richmond and the town New Richmond after the town in Yorkshire.

        I am glad you are feeling better Tres

      • grenadier1815
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
          I'll have to look at the terms of surrender of the fort in 1779 when
          Gov. Galvez attacked it but i'm fairly certain the Garison commander
          agreed to the surrender of the otwn of Baton Rouge, and I know for a
          fact the Spanish refered to it as such. Then again they dictated
          the terms so i guess they get to call it there name. Huh another
          case Bull Run/Mannasses... Isn't history fun!

          Thank you for your concern I am fully recovered and ready to get a
          chiny new coat!