2005 School of the Sailor

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
      2005 School of the Sailor

      Due to the success of the 11-13 June 2004 School of the Sailor, which took place at Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario, preliminary plans call for the 2005 School of the Sailor to be held at the same location, 10-12 June 2005, with an expanded seamanship curriculum and an enlarged training flotilla, to consist of the brigantine Saint Lawrence II and four longboats and bateaux.

      Participant spaces will, as this year, be limited to 40. As inquiries about the school are coming from UK, US and Canadian members, naval re-enactors are reminded to express interest to me in being listed on the roster by November 1 of this year.

      Yours with great Regard,

      Victor Suthren
      Squadron Commander (Navy)
      1812 Crown Forces North America
      suthren@...

    • David J. Brunelle
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2004
        Dear Vic,

        I would like to be put on the list for next year as I missed it this year!!

        Glad to hear it was a great success!!

        Take Care!!

        Dave Brunelle

        Due to the success of the 11-13 June 2004 School of the Sailor, which took place at Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario, preliminary plans call for the 2005 School of the Sailor to be held at the same location, 10-12 June 2005, with an expanded seamanship curriculum and an enlarged training flotilla, to consist of the brigantine Saint Lawrence II and four longboats and bateaux.

        Participant spaces will, as this year, be limited to 40. As inquiries about the school are coming from UK, US and Canadian members, naval re-enactors are reminded to express interest to me in being listed on the roster by November 1 of this year.

        Yours with great Regard,

        Victor Suthren
        Squadron Commander (Navy)
        1812 Crown Forces North America
        suthren@...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • suthren@magma.ca
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2004
          Signal from Naval Establishment
          Crown Forces North America

          School Of The Sailor
          2005
          ________________________________

          The 2005 School of the Sailor is planned to take place at Navy Hall, Fort George National Historic Site, Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, on the weekend of July 16-17, 2005.

          Unlike the 2004 School, the 2005 School of the Sailor will be done in a waterfront encampment setting, and as part of the Grand Encampment of the War of 1812. Participants should be prepared for an encampment-style weekend, with amenities being provided by Parks Canada (to be detailed). The 2006 School will return to Royal Military College, Kingston.

          The curriculum, as earlier indicated, will include Basic Seamanship in both longboat and shipboard environments, and will also involve exercises in Riverine Navigation and the execution of Assault Landings on to a beachhead. As in 2004, participants will rotate through crewing in sailing vessels, longboats, and bateaux. The training will be seamlessly integrated into the Battle and Operational Scenarios being developed for the weekend by Fort George and CFNA staff.

          Individuals who have been selected to receive the King's Warrant will receive them at a special ceremony, and several individuals will sit their Lieutenant's Board, likely within Navy Hall or in the Officer's Quarters, Fort George.

          A 'Splice The Main Brace' of a traditional rum issue and jollification will be hosted by the Squadron Commodore late on Saturday afternoon on completion of the first day's training, in the Navy Hall encampment. The village itself features several superb historic venues for evening 'runs ashore'.

          Niagara-on-the-lake is an historic village of great beauty, and the Navy Hall waterfront setting, the overall Fort George NHS location, the major assembly of 1812 re-enactors expected, and the past excellent attention given to planning by David Webb and the staff of Fort George, should ensure a memorable event no sailor will want to miss!

          As we are not limited to barrack room numbers, and the participant flotilla will be greater in size that that of 2005, all bonafide naval reenactors of 1812 with proper kit, and an interest in taking part, likely can be accommodated. You will need to register with me over the coming winter, however, and be aware that all Parks Canada regulations and requirements must be observed.

          The Longboat/Bateaux Flotilla, to be commanded by Captain G. Bibby and his staff of Commander P Rindlisbacher and Acting Lieutenant Mark Pergunas, is expected to be a sizeable one. The sailing vessel squadron, hopefully anchored by the the 2004 flagship Saint Lawrence II, will be promulgated as soon as its composition is known, and its command staff identified.

          I have the Honour to be,
          Sirs,
          Yours with great Regard

          Victor Suthren
          Squadron Commodore pro tem
          Naval Establishment
          Crown Forces North America
          suthren@...

          G O D S A V E T H E K I N G.

        • suthren@magma.ca
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 13, 2004
            General Signal

            2005 School of the Sailor
            July 16-17, 2005
            Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario

            Large Vessel Participation

            Preliminary efforts are being undertaken to secure the participation of one or more brigantine-rig STVs (sail training vessels) for the event weekend. A possible scenario is the embarcation of a team of trainee naval-re-enactors in one of the vessels in Toronto Friday night; a night/early morning passage to Niagara-on-the-lake, to rendezvous with the Longboat Flotilla for training and events in the Grand Tactical scenarios; crew exchanges (longboats to STVs and return); the STVs alongside at NOL for the night; and departure AM Sunday with re-enactor trainees for the return passage to Toronto to pick up their vehicles.

            Re-enactors may have the choice of (a) applying for one of the return-trip berths in the brigantine, and being part of 'Mulcaster' Crew; or (b) being based in the encampment at NOL and the Longboat Flotilla, and being part of 'Yeo' Crew. Both crews will temporarily exchange during the weekend so all will have both the longboat and 'tall ship' experience. 'Mulcasters' will be asked for a fee; no fee applies to 'Yeos'.

            Navy Hall to be Naval Headquarters

            Parks Canada staff are considering the allocation of the waterfront Navy Hall, immediately below Fort George, as Naval Headquarters, to be surrounded by the naval re-enactors' encampment, and to have its dock for all longboats. When ashore all 'Mulcasters' and 'Yeos' will use Navy Hall/the Encampment as their Rendezvous.

            Further detials to be promulgated in future signals.

            I have the Honour to be,
            Gentlemen,
            Yours with great Regard

            Victor Suthren
            Squadron Commodore pro tem
            Naval Establishment
            Crown Forces North America

            Organiser
            2005 School of the Sailor
            CFNA

          • Robert White
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 13, 2004
              Not being familiar with the general surrounds, would the proposed Naval encampment at Niagara On the Lake be in the range of the US Marine six pounder while at the same time out of the range of Mr. Rindlisbacher and others armed long boats? ;-) Pvt. White on board Constitution

              suthren@... wrote:General Signal

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2004
                Dear Bob
                I have it on good authority that the stalwart lads of the Fort Niagara
                garrison and even the Leatherneck gun crew who will be at Fort George will
                lob no round shot your way, gyrene. Semper Fi, right?
                Vic
                > Not being familiar with the general surrounds, would the proposed Naval
                encampment at Niagara On the Lake be in the range of the US Marine six
                pounder while at the same time out of the range of Mr. Rindlisbacher and
                others armed long boats? ;-) Pvt. White on board Constitution

                > suthren@... wrote:General Signal
                >
                > 2005 School of the Sailor
                > July 16-17, 2005
                > Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario
                >
                > Large Vessel Participation
                >
                > Preliminary efforts are being undertaken to secure the participation of
                one or more brigantine-rig STVs (sail training vessels) for the event
                weekend. A possible scenario is the embarcation of a team of trainee
                naval-re-enactors in one of the vessels in Toronto Friday night; a
                night/early morning passage to Niagara-on-the-lake, to rendezvous with the
                Longboat Flotilla for training and events in the Grand Tactical scenarios;
                crew exchanges (longboats to STVs and return); the STVs alongside at NOL for
                the night; and departure AM Sunday with re-enactor trainees for the return
                passage to Toronto to pick up their vehicles.

                > Re-enactors may have the choice of (a) applying for one of the return-trip
                berths in the brigantine, and being part of 'Mulcaster' Crew; or (b) being
                based in the encampment at NOL and the Longboat Flotilla, and being part of
                'Yeo' Crew. Both crews will temporarily exchange during the weekend so all
                will have both the longboat and 'tall ship' experience. 'Mulcasters' will be
                asked for a fee; no fee applies to 'Yeos'.

                > Navy Hall to be Naval Headquarters
                >
                > Parks Canada staff are considering the allocation of the waterfront Navy
                Hall, immediately below Fort George, as Naval Headquarters, to be surrounded
                by the naval re-enactors' encampment, and to have its dock for all
                longboats. When ashore all 'Mulcasters' and 'Yeos' will use Navy Hall/the
                Encampment as their Rendezvous.

                > Further detials to be promulgated in future signals.
                >
                > I have the Honour to be,
                > Gentlemen,
                > Yours with great Regard
                >
                > Victor Suthren
                > Squadron Commodore pro tem
                > Naval Establishment
                > Crown Forces North America
                >
                > Organiser
                > 2005 School of the Sailor
                > CFNA

                square miles...

                > ---------------------------------
                > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                >
                > American Forces Unit Lisiting
                > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                square miles...

              • Robert White

                  > Not being familiar with the general surrounds, would the proposed Naval
                  encampment at Niagara On the Lake be in the range of the US Marine six
                  pounder while at the same time out of the range of Mr. Rindlisbacher and
                  others armed long boats? ;-) Pvt. White on board Constitution

                  > suthren@... wrote:General Signal
                  >
                  > 2005 School of the Sailor
                  > July 16-17, 2005
                  > Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario
                  >
                  > Large Vessel Participation
                  >
                  > Preliminary efforts are being undertaken to secure the participation of
                  one or more brigantine-rig STVs (sail training vessels) for the event
                  weekend. A possible scenario is the embarcation of a team of trainee
                  naval-re-enactors in one of the vessels in Toronto Friday night; a
                  night/early morning passage to Niagara-on-the-lake, to rendezvous with the
                  Longboat Flotilla for training and events in the Grand Tactical scenarios;
                  crew exchanges (longboats to STVs and return); the STVs alongside at NOL for
                  the night; and departure AM Sunday with re-enactor trainees for the return
                  passage to Toronto to pick up their vehicles.

                  > Re-enactors may have the choice of (a) applying for one of the return-trip
                  berths in the brigantine, and being part of 'Mulcaster' Crew; or (b) being
                  based in the encampment at NOL and the Longboat Flotilla, and being part of
                  'Yeo' Crew. Both crews will temporarily exchange during the weekend so all
                  will have both the longboat and 'tall ship' experience. 'Mulcasters' will be
                  asked for a fee; no fee applies to 'Yeos'.

                  > Navy Hall to be Naval Headquarters
                  >
                  > Parks Canada staff are considering the allocation of the waterfront Navy
                  Hall, immediately below Fort George, as Naval Headquarters, to be surrounded
                  by the naval re-enactors' encampment, and to have its dock for all
                  longboats. When ashore all 'Mulcasters' and 'Yeos' will use Navy Hall/the
                  Encampment as their Rendezvous.

                  > Further detials to be promulgated in future signals.
                  >
                  > I have the Honour to be,
                  > Gentlemen,
                  > Yours with great Regard
                  >
                  > Victor Suthren