New Orleans/Lake Bourgne

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      In recent discussions with St. Bernard Parish it came out that some people
      were disapointed that, in the past, there has been no British and come to that
      no period Naval involvement in their Battle of Lake Bourne commemoration. It
      seems that some officicials were uinder the impression that we had been asked
      and just had not bothered to turn up and were quite surprized to find that this
      was not the case.

      So the upshot of this is that this year I think it would be nice to have a
      naval presenceand if anyone is interested in coming down for it they will be
      most welcome. Now I must emphasise that this is NOT at the same time as the
      commemoration of the battle and that it is a very small affair but nevertheless it
      would be nice to try building on it and suport a comemoration of a significant
      event in our history.

      Remember that the ONLY British medal for the New Orleans campaign was for
      this action (Naval General Service) but some soldiers who fought in the longboats
      to capture the US ships also receved it.