Re: [WarOf1812] RE: England had America

  • spikeyj@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
      On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
      historyatlarge@... wrote:
      > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
      > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
      > Newfoundland. Any others?

      East and West Florida.

      Spike Y Jones
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
        historyatlarge@... wrote:
        > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
        > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
        > Newfoundland. Any others?

        East and West Florida.
        Which included what is now St. Bernard Parish where the Battle of New Orleans
        was fought, and the town of 'New Richmond' now known as Baton Rouge, State
        Capital of Louisiana!

      • grenadier1815
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
          St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
          Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
          the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
          Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
          Mexico. Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
          Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
          named New Richmond)

          Tres

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
            In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:29:22 Central Standard Time,
            Grenadier1815@... writes:

            St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
            Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
            the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
            Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
            Mexico.
            Actualy Tres I was surprised too, but it was Bill Highland who told me that
            part of 'the parish' was once British and though I have not checked it myself
            I felt confident in repeating what he said in this forum.

            Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
            Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
            named New Richmond)

            I think you will find that is what most locals thought, not the British. If
            New Richmond had only been the fort then I think it would have had the title
            'fort' in front of it. I seem to recall for the British the fort was called
            Fort Richmond and the town New Richmond after the town in Yorkshire.

            I am glad you are feeling better Tres

          • grenadier1815
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
              I'll have to look at the terms of surrender of the fort in 1779 when
              Gov. Galvez attacked it but i'm fairly certain the Garison commander
              agreed to the surrender of the otwn of Baton Rouge, and I know for a
              fact the Spanish refered to it as such. Then again they dictated
              the terms so i guess they get to call it there name. Huh another
              case Bull Run/Mannasses... Isn't history fun!

              Thank you for your concern I am fully recovered and ready to get a
              chiny new coat!