Re: [WarOf1812] England had America - France too!

  • Matthew James Didier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 1:49 PM
      Trying to resist... must resist... CAN'T RESIST!!!!

      At 12:55 PM 01/07/04 -0400, you wrote:

      > ... and also the Vikings who visited L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland
      >about 500AD.
      >
      > ..... aaaaand the Irish monks who visited Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
      >
      >...... aaaaand the first humanoid that walked over the Berring Strait ice to
      >North America
      >
      >I wonder if they had to go through Canada Customs?! :*)

      Did they get stopped and checked for any weapons on the way through if they
      did?

      (JUST KIDDDING!!!)

      Y'rs...

      Matthew

      - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

      Matthew James Didier - Webmaster - Pte., Rifle Coy.
      Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) Re-Enactment Group
      http://norfolk.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      FREE Classified ads for Re-Enactors and
      Living Historians!
      http://blanket.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      Member in good standing of the
      Sacred Order of the De-Clawed Llama

      Shtolts zenen Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) zelner!

      warof1812@...

      The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.
    • historyatlarge@canada.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 9:44 AM
        I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
        fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
        Newfoundland. Any others?

        Michael Whittaker
        Merrickville, Ontario
        "Of arms and the man I sing." Virgil
      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2 9:53 AM
          On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
          historyatlarge@... wrote:
          > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
          > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
          > Newfoundland. Any others?

          East and West Florida.

          Spike Y Jones
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 9:58 AM
            historyatlarge@... wrote:
            > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
            > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
            > Newfoundland. Any others?

            East and West Florida.
            Which included what is now St. Bernard Parish where the Battle of New Orleans
            was fought, and the town of 'New Richmond' now known as Baton Rouge, State
            Capital of Louisiana!

          • grenadier1815
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 3:05 PM
              St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
              Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
              the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
              Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
              Mexico. Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
              Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
              named New Richmond)

              Tres

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2 3:57 PM
                In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:29:22 Central Standard Time,
                Grenadier1815@... writes:

                St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
                Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
                the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
                Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
                Mexico.
                Actualy Tres I was surprised too, but it was Bill Highland who told me that
                part of 'the parish' was once British and though I have not checked it myself
                I felt confident in repeating what he said in this forum.

                Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
                Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
                named New Richmond)

                I think you will find that is what most locals thought, not the British. If
                New Richmond had only been the fort then I think it would have had the title
                'fort' in front of it. I seem to recall for the British the fort was called
                Fort Richmond and the town New Richmond after the town in Yorkshire.

                I am glad you are feeling better Tres

              • grenadier1815
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2 4:20 PM
                  I'll have to look at the terms of surrender of the fort in 1779 when
                  Gov. Galvez attacked it but i'm fairly certain the Garison commander
                  agreed to the surrender of the otwn of Baton Rouge, and I know for a
                  fact the Spanish refered to it as such. Then again they dictated
                  the terms so i guess they get to call it there name. Huh another
                  case Bull Run/Mannasses... Isn't history fun!

                  Thank you for your concern I am fully recovered and ready to get a
                  chiny new coat!