England had America - France too!

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      From: "Susan Spencer McLean" <susan@...>

      Let us also not forget (as the televised Canada Day celebrations on
      Parliament Hill just reminded me) that 2004 is also the 400th
      anniversary of the founding of the first French colony in what was to
      become Canada, on the island of St. Croix.

      ------------------------

      M'Lady Sioux,

      ... and also the Vikings who visited L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland
      about 500AD.

      ..... aaaaand the Irish monks who visited Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

      ...... aaaaand the first humanoid that walked over the Berring Strait ice to
      North America

      Happy birthday Canada!

      I wonder if they had to go through Canada Customs?! :*)

      Yrs.,

      L2
      (Sorry it must be the Almond Sherry!)
    • Matthew James Didier
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        Trying to resist... must resist... CAN'T RESIST!!!!

        At 12:55 PM 01/07/04 -0400, you wrote:

        > ... and also the Vikings who visited L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland
        >about 500AD.
        >
        > ..... aaaaand the Irish monks who visited Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
        >
        >...... aaaaand the first humanoid that walked over the Berring Strait ice to
        >North America
        >
        >I wonder if they had to go through Canada Customs?! :*)

        Did they get stopped and checked for any weapons on the way through if they
        did?

        (JUST KIDDDING!!!)

        Y'rs...

        Matthew

        - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

        Matthew James Didier - Webmaster - Pte., Rifle Coy.
        Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) Re-Enactment Group
        http://norfolk.uppercanadianheritage.com/

        FREE Classified ads for Re-Enactors and
        Living Historians!
        http://blanket.uppercanadianheritage.com/

        Member in good standing of the
        Sacred Order of the De-Clawed Llama

        Shtolts zenen Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) zelner!

        warof1812@...

        The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.
      • historyatlarge@canada.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
          I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
          fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
          Newfoundland. Any others?

          Michael Whittaker
          Merrickville, Ontario
          "Of arms and the man I sing." Virgil
        • spikeyj@crosslink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
            On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
            historyatlarge@... wrote:
            > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
            > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
            > Newfoundland. Any others?

            East and West Florida.

            Spike Y Jones
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
              historyatlarge@... wrote:
              > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
              > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
              > Newfoundland. Any others?

              East and West Florida.
              Which included what is now St. Bernard Parish where the Battle of New Orleans
              was fought, and the town of 'New Richmond' now known as Baton Rouge, State
              Capital of Louisiana!

            • grenadier1815
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
                Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
                the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
                Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
                Mexico. Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
                Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
                named New Richmond)

                Tres

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                  In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:29:22 Central Standard Time,
                  Grenadier1815@... writes:

                  St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
                  Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
                  the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
                  Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
                  Mexico.
                  Actualy Tres I was surprised too, but it was Bill Highland who told me that
                  part of 'the parish' was once British and though I have not checked it myself
                  I felt confident in repeating what he said in this forum.

                  Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
                  Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
                  named New Richmond)

                  I think you will find that is what most locals thought, not the British. If
                  New Richmond had only been the fort then I think it would have had the title
                  'fort' in front of it. I seem to recall for the British the fort was called
                  Fort Richmond and the town New Richmond after the town in Yorkshire.

                  I am glad you are feeling better Tres

                • grenadier1815
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                    I'll have to look at the terms of surrender of the fort in 1779 when
                    Gov. Galvez attacked it but i'm fairly certain the Garison commander
                    agreed to the surrender of the otwn of Baton Rouge, and I know for a
                    fact the Spanish refered to it as such. Then again they dictated
                    the terms so i guess they get to call it there name. Huh another
                    case Bull Run/Mannasses... Isn't history fun!

                    Thank you for your concern I am fully recovered and ready to get a
                    chiny new coat!