England had America

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      From: "Spikie Y Jones" <spikeyj@...>

      Newfoundland was a separate colony at the time, but were the two
      Canadas, plus New Brunswick and PEI considered separate colonies or
      one big colony at the time?

      -------------

      Mr. Jones et al,

      According to: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/2/18/index-e.html

      This Canadian Confederation website, tells the story of how Canada came to
      be, from the original four provinces in 1867 to the present.

      1763 By the Treaty of Paris (1763), eastern North America becomes British
      territory except St-Pierre and Miquelon Islands (France). British colonial
      governments for Quebec, Newfoundland (with Île d'Anticosti and Îles de la
      Madeleine), Nova Scotia (including present-day N.B. and P.E.I.). Hudson's
      Bay Co. still administers Rupert's Land. Louisiana is ceded to Spain by
      France.

      1791 Following the Constitutional Act, Quebec is divided into Upper and
      Lower Canada (1791). Spain cedes Louisiana back to France (1800). U.S.A.
      purchases Louisiana (1803).

      Interesting stuff .........

      Yrs.,

      L2
    • Susan Spencer McLean
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        Let us also not forget (as the televised Canada Day celebrations on
        Parliament Hill just reminded me) that 2004 is also the 400th
        anniversary of the founding of the first French colony in what was to
        become Canada, on the island of St. Croix.

        -- Sioux
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
          From: "Susan Spencer McLean" <susan@...>

          Let us also not forget (as the televised Canada Day celebrations on
          Parliament Hill just reminded me) that 2004 is also the 400th
          anniversary of the founding of the first French colony in what was to
          become Canada, on the island of St. Croix.

          ------------------------

          M'Lady Sioux,

          ... and also the Vikings who visited L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland
          about 500AD.

          ..... aaaaand the Irish monks who visited Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

          ...... aaaaand the first humanoid that walked over the Berring Strait ice to
          North America

          Happy birthday Canada!

          I wonder if they had to go through Canada Customs?! :*)

          Yrs.,

          L2
          (Sorry it must be the Almond Sherry!)
        • Matthew James Didier
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
            Trying to resist... must resist... CAN'T RESIST!!!!

            At 12:55 PM 01/07/04 -0400, you wrote:

            > ... and also the Vikings who visited L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland
            >about 500AD.
            >
            > ..... aaaaand the Irish monks who visited Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
            >
            >...... aaaaand the first humanoid that walked over the Berring Strait ice to
            >North America
            >
            >I wonder if they had to go through Canada Customs?! :*)

            Did they get stopped and checked for any weapons on the way through if they
            did?

            (JUST KIDDDING!!!)

            Y'rs...

            Matthew

            - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

            Matthew James Didier - Webmaster - Pte., Rifle Coy.
            Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) Re-Enactment Group
            http://norfolk.uppercanadianheritage.com/

            FREE Classified ads for Re-Enactors and
            Living Historians!
            http://blanket.uppercanadianheritage.com/

            Member in good standing of the
            Sacred Order of the De-Clawed Llama

            Shtolts zenen Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) zelner!

            warof1812@...

            The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.
          • historyatlarge@canada.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
              I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
              fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
              Newfoundland. Any others?

              Michael Whittaker
              Merrickville, Ontario
              "Of arms and the man I sing." Virgil
            • spikeyj@crosslink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
                historyatlarge@... wrote:
                > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
                > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
                > Newfoundland. Any others?

                East and West Florida.

                Spike Y Jones
              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                  historyatlarge@... wrote:
                  > I'd like a recount on the colonies. Thirteen left the
                  > fold, but there remained Canada, Nova Scotia and
                  > Newfoundland. Any others?

                  East and West Florida.
                  Which included what is now St. Bernard Parish where the Battle of New Orleans
                  was fought, and the town of 'New Richmond' now known as Baton Rouge, State
                  Capital of Louisiana!

                • grenadier1815
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                    St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
                    Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
                    the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
                    Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
                    Mexico. Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
                    Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
                    named New Richmond)

                    Tres

                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                      In a message dated 02/07/2004 17:29:22 Central Standard Time,
                      Grenadier1815@... writes:

                      St. Bernard was actually part of "le isle de orleans" which was in
                      Spanish hands the line seperating Spanish lands from British was
                      the "Iberville river" (actually a bayou) from the Mississppi to Lake
                      Muarapus and the Rigolets from Lake Ponchatrain to the Gulf of
                      Mexico.
                      Actualy Tres I was surprised too, but it was Bill Highland who told me that
                      part of 'the parish' was once British and though I have not checked it myself
                      I felt confident in repeating what he said in this forum.

                      Baton Rouge has always had the name given to it by
                      Iberville in 1699 (the small earthen fort the Brtish erected was
                      named New Richmond)

                      I think you will find that is what most locals thought, not the British. If
                      New Richmond had only been the fort then I think it would have had the title
                      'fort' in front of it. I seem to recall for the British the fort was called
                      Fort Richmond and the town New Richmond after the town in Yorkshire.

                      I am glad you are feeling better Tres

                    • grenadier1815
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                        I'll have to look at the terms of surrender of the fort in 1779 when
                        Gov. Galvez attacked it but i'm fairly certain the Garison commander
                        agreed to the surrender of the otwn of Baton Rouge, and I know for a
                        fact the Spanish refered to it as such. Then again they dictated
                        the terms so i guess they get to call it there name. Huh another
                        case Bull Run/Mannasses... Isn't history fun!

                        Thank you for your concern I am fully recovered and ready to get a
                        chiny new coat!