Off Topic - Happy Dominion Day, Fellow Canucks!

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      From: "Matthew James Didier" <warof1812@...>

      Just a quick note to say Happy Dominion Day to my fellow snow-bound friends
      on the list! Please raise your mug ... to The Dominion of Canada! 137 years
      young today!

      = - = - =

      For those on the list not from the Great White North

      Frum:

      http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/jfa-ha/canada_e.cfm

      Canada Day

      On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck,
      called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in
      the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the
      British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on
      July 1st.

      The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name
      Dominion Day.

      There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary,
      except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the
      new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was
      dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of
      Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe.

      The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of
      Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the
      Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the
      inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower.

      Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's
      national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the
      coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the
      lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening
      followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display.

      Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen
      Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the
      backdrop for a large scale official ceremony.

      The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and
      professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally
      televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name
      "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole
      month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities,
      as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was
      cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977.

      A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the
      federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday
      celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations
      all across Canada. "Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and
      amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local
      communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations
      with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the
      nation.

      On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became
      "Canada Day".

      Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and
      territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations
      locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.

      In a few days the 4th of July! The American Holiday !!
      On July 4, 1776, Americans claimed their independence from England.

      Happy Birthday, America!
      Happy Birthday Canada!

      North America PARTIES!
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        I never knew England had America :-)

        P**

[...]

        square miles...

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129v7ro25/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=gr
        oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1088778469/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visi
        tors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2161810/rand=666088715>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

          I never knew England had America :-)

          -----

          Sir P**

          Do they not teach that Englans had 13 colonies
          in North America which fought and won independence
          in the 1700's?

          L2
        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            No we are not, we are taught that His Most Britannic Majesty graciously
            concented to recognise the de facto state of the Unitied States.

            Its the difference between a tactical retreat in good order and a rout!

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qs7tp6/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=gr
            oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1088781563/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visi
            tors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2161810/rand=269318565>

            _____

          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              Greetings,

              Happy Canada Day/Dominion Day to all of the group members in and from
              our great neighbor and friend.

              For those of you who get Good Morning America, Steve Allie [95th Reg't.
              of Foot] will be seen in Atchison, Kansas [on the Missouri River 60
              miles north of Kansas City] portraying Sgt. John Ordway, First Sgt. of
              the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Other members of the One list in the
              company are Eric Matthews and me. Other members of the 95th include
              Dave Hinkley [one of the Pudding Boys], Michael Matthews [Eric's
              Brother] and Patrick Allie. It will be a once in a lifetime way to
              celebrate Independence Day. I will not be on the Good Morning America
              segment as it requires being there at 3:00 am.

              Regards,

              Bob Dorian
              [Pv't. John Thompson - Cap't Lewis' Company for Northwestern Discovery]