Off Topic - Happy Dominion Day, Fellow Canucks!

  • Matthew James Didier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      Just a quick note to say Happy Dominion Day to my fellow snow-bound friends
      on the list!

      Please raise your mug o' beer (or glass of port, sherry, whatever... but
      since it's Canada day, beer seems a little more appropriate,) and give a
      rousing toast to The Dominion of Canada! 137 years young today!

      Y'rs,

      Matthew Didier
      - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -

      Matthew James Didier - Webmaster - Pte., Rifle Coy.
      Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) Re-Enactment Group
      http://norfolk.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      FREE Classified ads for Re-Enactors and
      Living Historians!
      http://blanket.uppercanadianheritage.com/

      Member in good standing of the
      Sacred Order of the De-Clawed Llama

      Shtolts zenen Norfolk Militia (Heritage Regiment) zelner!

      warof1812@...

      The universe is not indifferent to intelligence, it is actively hostile to it.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        From: "Matthew James Didier" <warof1812@...>

        Just a quick note to say Happy Dominion Day to my fellow snow-bound friends
        on the list! Please raise your mug ... to The Dominion of Canada! 137 years
        young today!

        = - = - =

        For those on the list not from the Great White North

        Frum:

        http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/jfa-ha/canada_e.cfm

        Canada Day

        On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck,
        called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in
        the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the
        British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on
        July 1st.

        The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name
        Dominion Day.

        There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary,
        except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the
        new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was
        dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of
        Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe.

        The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of
        Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the
        Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the
        inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower.

        Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's
        national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the
        coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the
        lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening
        followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display.

        Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen
        Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the
        backdrop for a large scale official ceremony.

        The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and
        professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally
        televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name
        "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole
        month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities,
        as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was
        cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977.

        A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the
        federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday
        celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations
        all across Canada. "Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and
        amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local
        communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations
        with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the
        nation.

        On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became
        "Canada Day".

        Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and
        territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations
        locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.

        In a few days the 4th of July! The American Holiday !!
        On July 4, 1776, Americans claimed their independence from England.

        Happy Birthday, America!
        Happy Birthday Canada!

        North America PARTIES!
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          I never knew England had America :-)

          P**

[...]

          square miles...

          ---------------------------------
          Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

          American Forces Unit Lisiting
          http://usforces1812.tripod.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129v7ro25/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=gr
          oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1088778469/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visi
          tors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2161810/rand=666088715>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

            I never knew England had America :-)

            -----

            Sir P**

            Do they not teach that Englans had 13 colonies
            in North America which fought and won independence
            in the 1700's?

            L2
          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              No we are not, we are taught that His Most Britannic Majesty graciously
              concented to recognise the de facto state of the Unitied States.

              Its the difference between a tactical retreat in good order and a rout!

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qs7tp6/M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=gr
              oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1088781563/A=2161810/R=0/SIG=128gjrj9f/*http://visi
              tors4.thehistorychannelclub.com/home.asp?promotion=9I4YATX1> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295920.5144279.6261754.4804107/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2161810/rand=269318565>

              _____

            • dancingbobd@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
                Greetings,

                Happy Canada Day/Dominion Day to all of the group members in and from
                our great neighbor and friend.

                For those of you who get Good Morning America, Steve Allie [95th Reg't.
                of Foot] will be seen in Atchison, Kansas [on the Missouri River 60
                miles north of Kansas City] portraying Sgt. John Ordway, First Sgt. of
                the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Other members of the One list in the
                company are Eric Matthews and me. Other members of the 95th include
                Dave Hinkley [one of the Pudding Boys], Michael Matthews [Eric's
                Brother] and Patrick Allie. It will be a once in a lifetime way to
                celebrate Independence Day. I will not be on the Good Morning America
                segment as it requires being there at 3:00 am.

                Regards,

                Bob Dorian
                [Pv't. John Thompson - Cap't Lewis' Company for Northwestern Discovery]