Re: Fanshawe 1812 Enacampment

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Fred C Dobbs"
      <steenkinbadges@y...> wrote:
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > Fanshawe Pioneer Village's 1812 encampment is all set to go.
      > >

      > > All are welcome including Civil War re-eanctors for American
      > > Militia.
      >
      > Amer. Civil War reenactors in a War of 1812 reenactment? Is this a
      > timeline?

      No, this is an 1812 event. The Civil War folks can come but dressed
      as 1812 militia. Same as they did for Wasaga Beach. It's difficult
      to get Americans at some events. The question being was with the
      percussion cap. The group I talked with this past weekend dress in
      grey roundabouts and go through the motions as if having flintlocks.

      This just helps fill out the numbers for a small event, and allows
      the Norfolk Militia to actually be British for a change instead of
      having to switch sides.

      I agree it sounded a bit flaky, but it's not meant to be. This is an
      1812 event. Loosely based on the raids of western Upper Canada of
      August 1814 the village staff are trying very hard to make it very
      believable and enjoyable for both the visiting public and the re-
      enactors involved. If I may quote one well respected re-enactor
      observer from last year, "that was one of the best small battles I
      have ever seen!"

      Anyway, thanks for your comments.

      Dave W.
      Royals.