Claret- Port was Rebels and Redcoats June 23, 2004 9:00 PM WNED PBS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2004
      From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

      Not to be pedantic, but Our Rev. War ancestors would have drunk BOTH
      Port and Claret; Port wine (in its commonly known fortified state)
      having been drunk in England for about 60 to 80 years before the
      Revolution, while Claret was simply the English name for wines from
      Bordeaux...

      ------------------------

      My good Sir et al

      I did not take your post as a pedantic attention to detail.
      Nor was
      my missive intended to disqualify Port from the casket of fine gentlemen
      of the American Revolutionary times. It was to point out that since travel
      Oporto Portugal for the rich, sweet, fortified wine known as Port was not as
      wide spread as during the Peninsula engagement and the dry red wine produced
      in the Bordeaux region of France known as Claret, in the Isles, was more
      readily
      available, it was drunk more ... according to my learned colleagues in their
      research of that time period. There was also cordials ... and possibly Mr.
      Heidebrecht would entertain us with his Shrub recipe.

      And, now on to the matter of the PBS presentation Rebels and Redcoats:
      How Britain Lost America:The Shot Heard Around TheWorld/American Crisis

      .... yawn ......... not Harry Potter!

      have all been working on their kit, cleaning and tweaking
      muskets,
      painting and repairing camp boxes and gear in an effort to ready themselves
      for July 2-4 the Lundy's Lane/Chippawa event at Niagara Falls Ontario?

      Yrs.,

      L2