Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Rebels and Redcoats June 23, 2004 9:00 PM PBS

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2004
      In a message dated 23/06/2004 20:09:03 Central Standard Time,
      dave8365@... writes:

      > Not to be pedantic, but Our Rev. War ancestors would have drunk BOTH
      > Port and Claret; Port wine (in its commonly known fortified state)
      > having been drunk in England for about 60 to 80 years before the
      > Revolution, while Claret was simply the English name for wines from
      > Bordeaux...

      I think that I am right in saying that we became familiar with Port and
      indeed all things Portugese when the restoration (1660) btought us the glorious
      reign of Charles II of blessed memory and his Queen Catherine of Braganca. He
      dowery included the colony of Tangier and Porugal is Britain's oldest ally.
      With those connections, and the British love of raising the glass I can only
      think that the discovery of Port was not long delayed!