Recreated Units on the 1812 Yahoo Groups List 8.2

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2004
      Been a while since this went around. For your review we present:

      Recreated Military Units that are represented on the 1812 Onelist
      Great Britain
      _________________________
      Royal Navy
      HM Schooner Nancy
      Royal Marines: 2nd Battalion
      _________________________
      Army Staff
      _________________________
      British Cavalry

      14th Light Dragoons
      15th Light Dragoons (Hussars)
      19th Light Dragoons
      _________________________
      British Infantry

      1st Foot Guards
      1st (Royal Scots) Regt. of Foot
      2nd foot regiment (Queens)1st Battalion, 4th Company
      7th (Royal Fusiliers) Regt. of Foot
      8th (King's) Regt. of Foot
      9th (East Norfolk) Regt. of Foot,
      21st (RNBF/Scots Fusiliers) Regt. of Foot
      23rd Regt. of Foot
      37th (North Hampshire) Regt of Foot
      41st Regt. of Foot
      44th Regt. of Foot
      49th Regt. of Foot
      50th (West Kent) Regt. of Foot
      73rd Regt of Foot
      89th Regt of Foot
      93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regt of Foot
      95th (Rifles) Regt of Foot

      10th Royal Veteran Battalion

      Royal Engineers
      ________________________
      Foreign Regiments in British Service

      De Meuron's (Swiss) Regt
      De Watteville's (Swiss) Regt
      _____________________
      British North American Regulars

      Royal Newfoundland Fencibles
      Canadian Fencibles
      Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles
      __________________
      Canadian Provincial Corps

      Canadian Voltigeurs
      Michigan Fencibles
      __________________
      Canadian Incorporated, Embodied and Sedentary Militia

      The Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada
      1st Regiment, Kent Militia
      1st Regiment, Lincoln Militia
      Corps of Canadian Voyageurs
      Norfolk Militia Heritage Regiment
      Thomas Anderson's Company of Mississippi Volunteers
      Joseph Rolette's Company of Voyageur Militia

      =======================
      The Republic of the United States
      _______________________
      US Navy
      _______________________

      Ships Company
      Gun Crew, USS Carolina
      Marine Guard, USS Constitution
      _______________________
      American Army
      _______________________
      U.S. Corps of Engineers
      1st U.S. Light Artillery
      _______________________
      American Cavalry

      US Light Dragoons
      Kentucky Light Dragoons (Militia)
      Maryland Light Dragoons (Wilson's Troop)
      _______________________
      2nd U.S. Artillery
      Captain Lucas' Company of Militia Artillery
      Cushing's Company of Artillery
      _______________________
      American Infantry

      1st US Inf.
      4th US Inf.
      6th US Inf.
      7th US Inf.
      8th US Inf.
      15th US Inf.
      17th US Inf.
      19th US Inf.
      21st U.S. Inf. (Treats company)
      25th US Inf. (Whiting's Company)
      27th US Inf.

      1st Regt. of Rifles
      Missouri Rangers
      _______________
      American Militia

      5th Maryland
      Jackson's Lifeguards
      Tennessee Volunteers
      West Tennessee Militia
      Plauche's Battalion - Carabinier Compagnie
      1st MD Rifle BN, Fells Point Rifles
      35th Bttn. NH Militia, Cheshire County
      2nd MI Militia (LaCroix's Co.)
      2nd VA Regt, 1813-1815

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 14, 2004
        From: "Michael Mathews " <ciefranche21e@...>

        Been a while since this went around. For your review we present:

        Recreated Military Units that are represented on the 1812 Onelist

        Thank you Mon Ami

        An impressive list and all maintained by Mr. Mathews

        In your debt Sir

        L2
      • PEGGY MATHEWS
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 14, 2004
          No problem. A tad more Almond Sherry at Mississinewa and all accounts will be squared. (You were right, you can't get it in the States.)

          Bon nuit,

          Michael

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
            Dear All,

            Can I draw your attention to the following announcement of the establishment
            of a new but I believe unique unit aimed at covering all the Armies of our
            period.

            Can anyone provide information regarding Pension houses, in-pensioners or
            out-pensioners in your threatre of operations? I assume that British Army
            regular soldiers who retired to canada did so as Out-Pensioners of
            Kilmainham or Chelsea, however what happened to the regular soldiers of
            Canada once they were beyond service in the Veteren Battalion? What
            provision was there in the American services for pensions or in-pension
            hospitals?

            Windsor (UK :-))

            I am pleased to formally announce the establishment of the Pensioners
            re-enactment group. Many of you are aware that I have been planning this
            small group for some time now, and first appeared in a Pensioners uniform at
            Plancenoit this year.

            The principal purpose of the unit is to provide an appropriate unit for the
            older re-enactors who no longer wish to take the battlefield nor give up the
            hobby.

            The group may accept Pensioners from any of the Pension houses of the
            Nations involved in the Napoleonic Wars 1792 to 1815 (including the War of
            1812 to 1814 in North America).

            Membership is open to Other Ranks, over 55 with at least five years
            re-enacting experience and who come to the unit with the recommendation of
            their unit commander for service with good conduct. The group currently has
            five members, three British, one Dutch and a Frenchman in British service!

            Further, I am honoured to be able to announce that Major Jan van Ee (Retd.)
            of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Landmacht (the Royal Netherlands Army) has
            concented to be our Captain of Invalids.

            I will serve for all practical purposes as unit commander and would request
            that any communications regarding the unit should be addressed to me at
            (peter.catley@...) or by snail mail to the address below.

            If you have would like any further information or have any queries please
            contact me.

            Peter Catley

            In-Pensioner, the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London.

            (11 Haslemere Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5ET, United Kingdom. ++44
            (0)1753-866854)

            Dear Michael,

            I didn't dare try to enter this new unit into your carefully constructed
            unit list :-)

            Cheers now.

            P**

          • Fred C Dobbs
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
              wrote:
              > I am pleased to formally announce the establishment of the
              Pensioners
              > re-enactment group. Many of you are aware that I have been
              planning this
              > small group for some time now, and first appeared in a Pensioners
              uniform at
              > Plancenoit this year.
              >

              > The principal purpose of the unit is to provide an appropriate
              unit for the
              > older re-enactors who no longer wish to take the battlefield nor
              give up the
              > hobby.

              Wow, if you did that in 1812 reenactment, you'd take half the guys
              off the field! :)

              Fred C Dobbs
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                In a message dated 29/07/2004 11:13:45 Central Standard Time,
                peter.catley@... writes:

                Can anyone provide information regarding Pension houses, in-pensioners or
                out-pensioners in your threatre of operations? I assume that British Army
                regular soldiers who retired to canada did so as Out-Pensioners of
                Kilmainham or Chelsea, however what happened to the regular soldiers of
                Canada once they were beyond service in the Veteren Battalion? What
                provision was there in the American services for pensions or in-pension
                hospitals?

                Peter,

                I don't have much but one item I do happen to have in my collection is an
                officers coat of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham c1830. I wouls assume this had to
                be a surgeons as it seems much too small to be a pensioners. The loops are
                not in lace but embroidered in passing thread, the buttons are flat with a
                raised edge and a crown over the block capital letters R.H.K. (with the full
                stops).
                The cut of the coat is exactly as for a standard officers coat of the period.

                Kindest regards,

              • Peter Catley
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                  Fansinating, presumably a staff coat? Interesting that the buttons are R.H.K
                  since I believe that the Pension had, as they still do RCI (Royal corp of
                  Invalids) on their buttons, Roughly how long is the coat waist length?

                  Do you have a photograph of it you could send me, pretty please :-)

                  Cheers now.

                  P**

                  peter.catley@... writes:

[...]

                  square miles...

                  ---------------------------------
                  Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                  http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                  American Forces Unit Lisiting
                  http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129vtsdfn/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091211615/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                  anion.yahoo.com> click here

                  :HM/A=2128215/rand=770902844>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 29, 2004
                    In a message dated 29/07/2004 13:55:39 Central Standard Time,
                    peter.catley@... writes:

                    Fansinating, presumably a staff coat? Interesting that the buttons are R.H.K
                    since I believe that the Pension had, as they still do RCI (Royal corp of
                    Invalids) on their buttons, Roughly how long is the coat waist length?

                    Do you have a photograph of it you could send me, pretty please :-)

                    The coat is exactly as discribed in the 1833 regulations for officers of the
                    Royal Hospitals of Chelsea and Kilmainham. It is the same design as the
                    infantry officers coat of the period sometimes call (but never in period
                    regulations the 'coatee') that is a waist lenght jacket with tails aplied at the back
                    to give the same impression as the earlier garmet but with a very 'niped in'
                    waist. It has embroidered cuffs and pocket flaps but a plain collar which I
                    believe is because it is a replacement, though an old one.

                    I will see if I can find the old pictures I took so that I can scan it into
                    the computer, now that I have a Mac and a cable internet link I can send some
                    realy georgeous high res pictures but unless those receving have the same
                    computers tend to lock uo as I haven't quite got the tecnique of reducing the
                    size of the pictures yet!

                  • PEGGY MATHEWS
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                      I'll be posting a new list momentarily Peter. I wasn't sure where to put the Pensioners, so I grouped them with the Army Staff since it seems an administrative group. If someone has a better handle on where it should be listed, I'm all ears.

                      Welcome to the (sub) list of lists.

                      Michael

                      (peter.catley@...<mailto:peter.catley@...>) or by snail mail to the address below.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                        In a message dated 30/07/2004 21:00:17 Central Standard Time,
                        ciefranche21e@... writes:

                        I'll be posting a new list momentarily Peter. I wasn't sure where to put
                        the Pensioners, so I grouped them with the Army Staff since it seems an
                        administrative group. If someone has a better handle on where it should be listed,
                        I'm all ears.

                        The Army lista are generaly drawn up:
                        General Officers
                        Staff Officers
                        Personal Staff attached to General Officers
                        Staff of Garrisons
                        Royal Military College
                        Royal Military Asylum
                        Cavalry Depot
                        Invalid Depot
                        Riding Establishment
                        Civil Departments
                        Regiments of Cavalry
                        Regiments of Infantry
                        Unattached Officers and Officers on half-pay

                        Well, you did ask!

                      • PEGGY MATHEWS
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                          So, um, I got it right, right?

                          Michael

                        • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 30, 2004
                            General Pickles:

                            I respectfully request some information about the Royal Military Asylum.

                            YH&OS,

                            Robert Dorian
                            Surgeon 14 LD
                          • Peter Catley
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 2004
                              Michael,

                              That's fine by me. I believe that in the case of precident on parade, in at
                              least the British Army, the Pensioners take the right flank position before
                              the 1/1 Foot Guards and the parade has to take its pace from the Pensioners!

                              However I could be wrong and it is not a part of my agenda :-)

                              Cheers

                              P**

[...]

                              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g52av9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                              oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091325542/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                              anion.yahoo.com> click here

                              :HM/A=2128215/rand=968429820>

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 2004
                                Bob,

                                The Royal Military Asylum is still in exsistence today, but it is now called
                                the Duke of York's Royal Military School (or the Dukies) and they are in
                                residence just outside Dover (UK ~ in case the Canadians have also nicked
                                this name!)

                                "Googled"

                                Royal Military Asylum - {Duke Of York's School} Chelsea

                                Extracts taken from "The Graphic" dated May 26, 1888
                                as transcribed by Bev Edmonds

                                The warrant appointing the Commissioners for the management of the
                                institution is dated June 24th, 1801 The total original cost of the ground
                                and building was no more than £104,187; the value of the ground is probably
                                now at least ten times as great as it was at the beginning of the century.
                                Not without some difficulties and disputes was the building erected; for the
                                builders presented a bill far in excess of the original estimates-- as
                                builders often do. A committee was appointed by the Commissioners to inquire
                                into the causes of the increase, and ultimately everything was
                                satisfactorily explained.

                                At first, the institution was intended both for boys and girls, and both
                                were admitted freely; but it is long since the Asylum has been reserved for
                                boys only. As stated in the original regulations, the institution was
                                intended for, "1st", Orphans. 2nd, those whose fathers have been killed on
                                foreign service. 3rd. those who have lost their mothers, and whose fathers
                                are absent on duty abroad; and 4th, those whose fathers are ordered on
                                foreign service, or whose parents have other children to maintain. These
                                regulations have since been extended to admit the children of pensioners of
                                long service and good conduct. Children, according to the original
                                regulations were admitted at " the earliest age for nurture, and into the
                                Asylum from four years till twelve years, being discharged at fourteen
                                years.

                                Those who enter after eleven have to pass an examination in arithmetic and
                                dictation. The total number of boys who can at present be admitted is 484, a
                                great many less than the 1,000 which the original Commissioners proposed to
                                lodge in the same building. This decrease in the original estimate is, no
                                doubt, dictated by modern sanitary regulations; for it is said that in the
                                early days of the institution two boys used to sleep in each bed.

                                Part of the south wing of the Royal Military Asylum contained up till quite
                                recently the Normal School for training army school-masters. In December
                                last year, however, this institution was abolished, and further
                                accommodation is thus set free for the use of the Duke of York's School. The
                                additional rooms will accommodate sixty-six more boys and it is hoped that
                                the establishment will thus shortly be raised to 550.

                                There are always plenty of applicants for admission to the Royal Military
                                Asylum, and as vacancies occur the boys are admitted according to the
                                urgency of their respective cases. Orphans are taken first; then those who
                                have lost their fathers. next, those who have lost their mothers, and so on.
                                as the Royal Military Asylum is intended primarily as a school to train boys
                                for the army, a medical certificate is demanded with each applicant, and no
                                boy is admitted unless it is testified by a surgeon that he " is free from
                                any mental or bodily infirmity, not ruptured, and is likely to become fit
                                for the Army. It is not, however, compulsory upon boys of the Duke of York's
                                School to enter the Army. When applying for admission of a boy, the parent
                                or guardian " agrees that the said boy shall remain in the Asylum as long as
                                the Commissioners thereof shall think see fit, within the prescribed limit
                                of age; and that when of proper age he shall be placed, with his own free
                                consent, as a private soldier in the Regular Army, or shall be provided for
                                at the discretion of the Commissioners as an apprentice or servant." It is
                                thus optional for any boy, when he reaches the age of fourteen, to become
                                either a soldier or a civilian, but at least eighty percent of the boys
                                elect to enter the Army.

                                The building still exsists and currently is used by our Ministry of Defence
                                as a headquarters unit for the London District of our Terriorial Army (Sort
                                of National Guard operation) It is close by the Royal Hospital and the
                                National Army Museum and well worth a look if you are walking in the Chelsea
                                and Sloane Square area of West London.

                                The school was moved some years ago and split into two, The Duke of York's
                                Royal Military School at Dover and the QueenVictoria's Royal Hibernian
                                Military School at Dunblane. Both institutions are still active and have a
                                long and positive relationship with the British military. Some years ago now
                                I had the pleasure of visiting both in my employment as a compliance auditor
                                of the British Home Civil Service for the Office of the Civil Service
                                Commissioners (part of the UK Cabinet Office)

                                At the Duke of York's School I was priviledged to spend some time with the
                                Bursar and we soon stopped concerning ourselves with the job in hand and got
                                on to matters of military interest! The school has complete records of every
                                pupil that has attended since it openned, except for 25, these were a group
                                of young girls who stated at the school but were then transfered to another
                                institution because mixed schooling was not thought to be appropriate. Their
                                records when with the girls, but when a while later the decision was
                                reversed and the girls returned to Chelsea their records were not recovered,
                                and I got the impression that the Bursar was still annoyed about it!

                                I spent some time examining the records of sons and daughters of soldiers of
                                IX Regiment of Foot who had been at the school.

                                The school also has a "Jingling Johnny2 and I was told that it was an
                                original captured by an ex-pupil and presented to the school but I don't
                                recall being told the date.

                                The school has some unusual buildings, the accommodation blocks from the
                                Victorian period (post 1830) are built on stilts so as to let the sea air
                                circulate underneath which it was thought to be more healthy!

                                Both Schools retain their strong links with the military and many of the
                                children go on to serve as technicians, tradesmen (both genders!) and
                                officers especially in the Army but also the Royal Air Force and the senior
                                service the Royal Navy.

                                If anyone is interested the following websites may be of interest :
                                http://www.dukeofyorksschool.com/ and of course try Googling, the Royal
                                Military Asylum was fruitful.

                                Have fun.

                                P**

                                I respectfully request some information about the Royal Military Asylum.

                                YH&OS,

                                Robert Dorian
                                Surgeon 14 LD

                                square miles...

                                ---------------------------------
                                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ipm238/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                                oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091327943/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                                anion.yahoo.com> click here

                                :HM/A=2128215/rand=280944595>

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 2004
                                  In a message dated 30/07/2004 21:15:28 Central Standard Time,
                                  ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                  So, um, I got it right, right?

                                  Priety much, however in the overall list ADCs should be listed together not
                                  after the officers they are attached to but, as we don't have all the listed
                                  formations, after the Staff and before the Cavalry is indeed the place.
                                  See, sometimes it IS logical!

                                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31, 2004
                                    In a message dated 30/07/2004 22:09:27 Central Standard Time,
                                    dancingbobd@... writes:

                                    I respectfully request some information about the Royal Military Asylum.

                                    Dear Bob,

                                    As Peters excellent reply is so comprehensive I have only one thing to add.
                                    The uniforms of the asylum were included in the magnificent series of
                                    paintings by Dubois-Drahonet in 1831, somewhat later than our period but the standard
                                    bearer is still wearing the 1812 pattern shako. The Drum Major is shown in
                                    cocked hat and the musitian in a forrage cap with the very wide top. The blue
                                    trousers come almost under the armpits over a red shirt or very light loose
                                    cut jacket.