School of the Sailor

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2004
      HM Dockyard
      Kingston U.C.
      13th June 1814

      L. Lozon Esq:

      Sir

      I have the Honour to report to you the successful deployment in HM sloop-of-war Saint Lawrence II, Capt. Shank, & in the tender gunboats Rolette and Wolfe, Lt. Rindlisbacher and Mr. Pergunas, of 37 seamen of the Provincial Marine and Royal Navy, & a section of the R. Nfld. Reg't serving as Marines, under my command this 12th June inst. employ'd in the School of the Sailor, in the waters of Navy Bay and the Kingston approaches.

      I am pleased to note with the highest approbation the Conduct of all involved which served very well in the Traditions of the Service.

      This day I have sent to Quebec, for passage onward in the Prometheus frigate to Portsmouth, the following recommendations for the consideration of Their Lordships Commissioners through the office of Mr. Nepean:

      To be passed his Board for Lieutenant: Mr. Mark Pergunas.

      To Commander: Lt. Peter Rindlisbacher.

      To receive a King's Warrant:
      Mr. Colin Wu
      Mr. David May

      I have the Honour to be,
      Sir,
      Yours with great Regard
      Victor Suthren
      Squadron Commander
      Crown Forces in North America

    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
        You forgot to mention that you captured one POW. Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in this program. everything was great and I enjoyed meeting so many of his majesties loyal servants. I will make sure to take less aim at any future confrontations such that my shipmates who treated me well during captivity are not so harmed by this Private. Bob White, Private, US Marines on Board Constitution.

        suthren@... wrote:HM Dockyard
[...]

        ---------------------------------
        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        American Forces Unit Lisiting
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • John-Paul Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
          Robert White wrote:

          >You forgot to mention that you captured one POW. Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in this program. everything was great and I enjoyed meeting so many of his majesties loyal servants. I will make sure to take less aim at any future confrontations such that my shipmates who treated me well during captivity are not so harmed by this Private. Bob White, Private, US Marines on Board Constitution.

          Private White. A Jonathan you may be but 'twas a pleasure to hoist a
          mug with you.

          J-P Johnson
          Royal Newfoundland Reg't

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2004
            Dear Robert
            Great to have had you with us. You were a credit to USF CONSTITUTION and the
            Corps. Hope we can get together sometime again---perhaps in Boston.
            Yours aye
            Vic
            > You forgot to mention that you captured one POW. Thank you so much for
            the opportunity to participate in this program. everything was great and I
            enjoyed meeting so many of his majesties loyal servants. I will make sure
            to take less aim at any future confrontations such that my shipmates who
            treated me well during captivity are not so harmed by this Private. Bob
            White, Private, US Marines on Board Constitution.

            > suthren@... wrote:HM Dockyard
            > Kingston U.C.
            > 13th June 1814
            >
            > L. Lozon Esq:
            >
            > Sir
            >
            > I have the Honour to report to you the successful deployment in HM
            sloop-of-war Saint Lawrence II, Capt. Shank, & in the tender gunboats
            Rolette and Wolfe, Lt. Rindlisbacher and Mr. Pergunas, of 37 seamen of the
            Provincial Marine and Royal Navy, & a section of the R. Nfld. Reg't serving
            as Marines, under my command this 12th June inst. employ'd in the School of
            the Sailor, in the waters of Navy Bay and the Kingston approaches.

            > I am pleased to note with the highest approbation the Conduct of all
            involved which served very well in the Traditions of the Service.

            > This day I have sent to Quebec, for passage onward in the Prometheus
            frigate to Portsmouth, the following recommendations for the consideration
            of Their Lordships Commissioners through the office of Mr. Nepean:

            > To be passed his Board for Lieutenant: Mr. Mark Pergunas.
            >
            > To Commander: Lt. Peter Rindlisbacher.
            >
            > To receive a King's Warrant:
            > Mr. Colin Wu
            > Mr. David May
            >
            > I have the Honour to be,
            > Sir,
            > Yours with great Regard
            > Victor Suthren
            > Squadron Commander
            > Crown Forces in North America

            square miles...

            > ---------------------------------
            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            >
            > American Forces Unit Lisiting
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            square miles...

          • Robert White

              > You forgot to mention that you captured one POW. Thank you so much for
              the opportunity to participate in this program. everything was great and I
              enjoyed meeting so many of his majesties loyal servants. I will make sure
              to take less aim at any future confrontations such that my shipmates who
              treated me well during captivity are not so harmed by this Private. Bob
              White, Private, US Marines on Board Constitution.

              > suthren@... wrote:HM Dockyard
              > Kingston U.C.
              > 13th June 1814
              >
              > L. Lozon Esq:
              >
              > Sir
              >
              > I have the Honour to report to you the successful deployment in HM
              sloop-of-war Saint Lawrence II, Capt. Shank, & in the tender gunboats
              Rolette and Wolfe, Lt. Rindlisbacher and Mr. Pergunas, of 37 seamen of the
              Provincial Marine and Royal Navy, & a section of the R. Nfld. Reg't serving
              as Marines, under my command this 12th June inst. employ'd in the School of
              the Sailor, in the waters of Navy Bay and the Kingston approaches.

              > I am pleased to note with the highest approbation the Conduct of all
              involved which served very well in the Traditions of the Service.

              > This day I have sent to Quebec, for passage onward in the Prometheus
              frigate to Portsmouth, the following recommendations for the consideration
              of Their Lordships Commissioners through the office of Mr. Nepean:

              > To be passed his Board for Lieutenant: Mr. Mark Pergunas.
              >
              > To Commander: Lt. Peter Rindlisbacher.
              >
              > To receive a King's Warrant:
              > Mr. Colin Wu
              > Mr. David May
              >
              > I have the Honour to be,
              > Sir,
              > Yours with great Regard
              > Victor Suthren
              > Squadron Commander
              > Crown Forces in North America

              square miles...

              > ---------------------------------
              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
              >
              > American Forces Unit Lisiting
              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              square miles...

              ---------------------------------
              Crown Forces Unit Listing:
              http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              American Forces Unit Lisiting
              http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Ray Hobbs
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                List:
                More than one event on the same week-end is always a problem, but I
                suspect that with the approach of the bicentennial this will become
                more and more common.

                On this past week-end, the 41st were absent from Stoney Creek, but
                present at the School of the Sailor at Amherstburg. What a different,
                but wonderful experience for us. Several members of the unit served as
                crew and marines on the boats which raced from Windsor to Amherstburg
                on the Saturday - over four hours - and had opportunity to learn
                sailing skills on the run. Something similar to what happened in
                September 1813.

                The hospitality of the site, the organising committee, and the local
                institutions was wonderful, and much appreciated. The Canadian Navy fed
                us for the week-end, and the Legion put on one of the best roast beef
                dinners I have ever had on Saturday evening.

                On Sunday morning the Lieutenancy Board was held to examine two Acting
                Lieutenants for promotion. It was a formal, solemn, and rather
                nerve-wracking occasion for the candidates. It was a great piece of
                reenacting theatre - with meaning and significance.

                Unfortunately an Ohio storm slipped over the border and dampened our
                activities for Sunday afternoon, and most of us have wet canvas hanging
                in basements drying.

                However, all of us look back on the week-end with great memories.
                Thanks to Vic Suthren, Peter Rindlisbacher, Patrick Schifferdecker,
                John Mcleod, and the various boat crews for their welcome and care of
                us for the week-end. Huzzah!

                We hope to have pictures up on our website soon.

                Yr Svt
                Ray Hobbs
                Captain 41st Regt
                Head of the Lake.
              • Tom Fournier
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Good Morning List!

                  Please note, School of the Sailor photos from the 41st cams can be
                  found on our website at:

                  www.fortyfirst.org

                  Thanks!

                  Tom
                • Dale Kidd
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Great pics! From one who missed the fun, thanks for posting a way
                    for me to catch the action.

                    ~Dale

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
                    <tom4141fournier@...> wrote:

                    > Good Morning List!
                    >
                    > Please note, School of the Sailor photos from the 41st cams can be
                    > found on our website at:
                    >
                    > www.fortyfirst.org
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Tom

                  • Tom Hurlbut
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 29 11:46 AM
                      Hey there!

                      Just a note to remind/inform y'all about the School of the Sailor 2008, "The Henry Bayfield Mission" (in honour of Lt. Bayfield, RN who charted Lake Huron in 1817) to be held at Penetanguishene, Ontario's Discovery Harbour, the reconstructed 1815 Royal Navy base and dockyard. Event dates are July 19-20, 2008.

                      I have the pleasure (and pain, I assure you!!) to be the event co-ordinator.

                      There will be a mix of "classroom" and on-the-water training in the sailor's arts as well as some appropriate presentations by interested and informed persons.

                      Discovery Harbour is home to the replica 1817 RN schooners HMS Bee and HMS Tecumseth (sic) both of whom hold Royal Navy warrants allowing them to legally use "HMS" in their names.

                      Other notable attendees include the Crown Forces Naval Establishments (1812) flagship brigantine St. Lawrence II as well as ketch Royaliste and "pinky" schooner La Revenante.

                      Potential boats include Witch of Amherstburg, Badger, Auld Alliance, Dawn Star, Surveyor, Hamilton ship's boat, Royal George, Rolette, Vitalité, Ferret and Lester.

                      For a small fee (approx $20/person) all meals (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and a roast beef dinner) will be provided.

                      The Saturday evening will see the post banquet activities of an historic tavern including (this is the fun part!) "entertainments" provided by the participants in the spirit of ship's companies of the period. This means's each boat's crew should be prepared to sing a song, recite a poem or perform a skit of appropriate nature for the enjoyment of the others.

                      Discovery Harbour is approximately 1:30 hours north of Toronto on Georgian Bay.

                      Send your emails stating your intention to attend to:

                      lakesimcoesquadron (at) yahoo.com (substitute "@" for "at")

                      Yours, Aye!

                      Thomas Hurlbut, Lieutenant (N)
                      CFNA Naval Establishments (1812)