after hours authenticity

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
      Dan,

      Didn't take it personally at all.

      I was just saying that my unit tries to avoid degenerating to that level.
      At most of the events that I go to it's very hard to hang on to the
      ambiance that you are talking about with cars whizzing past and people
      yelling out their windows. At those events I find it isn't worth the
      effort. I have, however been to a few events where we have been far from
      any outside influences and these are usually the events where we put a
      serious effort towards maintaining that historical feel. One of partuicular
      note for me was the Penetanguishene row down the Nottawasoga a few years
      back. We were out of the way, far from any city sitting in the middle of an
      over grown field with a river running past that was full of period boats.
      We sat around a fire on the ground with our packs and blankets and shared
      Screech out of a period bottle. A most excellent time if ever there was one.

      Sean Hirst
      Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
      *********************************
      945-0591
    • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 1999
        In a message dated 04/8/1999 4:18:57 PM, musketballs@... writes:

        >i have no problems with quiet non-period conversations
        >around campfires. hell, that just adds to the
        >ambience. and i could care less what you've got in
        >your mug, just please don't leave the cans & bottles
        >laying out in plain sight.

        I agree completely. In fact in our Unit it is written policy that after hours
        the "no modern items in sight" rule still goes (which includes cans, bottles,
        bags, cartons, cigarettes or whatever). If someone has to have a Diet Coke,
        OK, but it goes into a period vessel and the can disappears. Cigarette? --
        Off he goes out of the camp to enjoy. There is nothing hard about it, it's
        simple to do, and as long as everyone already knows it is what is, then it
        is. If you follow....

        Cheers!
        http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
        THE Thin Red Line

        P.S. We were at an event this year where the organizers had sent out a
        "Guidelines" sheet for authenticity. Included was an item on cigarette
        smoking as we have above -- out of camp, out of sight. But this particular
        Guideline included with cigarettes "cigars" in the "not accurate" category.
        So naturally at every opportunity I made sure I had a smoldering cheroot
        clinched in teeth or fist. Why, you ask? In hopes that whatever addled
        brained nincompoop had come up with that one would say something to me about
        it and I could launch into all the footnoted, documented instances of British
        officers (at least) having and smoking cigars during the period, and in all
        sorts of circumstances and conditions. That and the history of cigars, going
        back to Columbus...
        Of course, as with most such anticipated events, I was never allowed to have
        me jollies fulfilled...