Wonder How this might effect border crossings?

  • inf2u
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2004
      Not to mention reenacting.Talk about a blast from the past.......
      There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S
      89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft
      can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential
      election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills
      passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our
      action on this is needed immediately.

      $28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS)
      budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as
      June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31,
      2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready
      for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html
      to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

      The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350
      draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide..
      Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and
      influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's
      prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a
      permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may
      have no choice but to draft.

      Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year,
      http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the
      Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common
      defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the
      United States, including women, perform a period of military service
      or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national
      defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active
      bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

      Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam
      era.

      College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and
      the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to
      keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of
      foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director,
      Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements,
      among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering
      and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more
      equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher
      education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone
      service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have
      until the end of the academic year.

      Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still
      object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will
      not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a
      difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher
      education as a
      shelter and includes women in the draft.

      The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important
      decision.

      Please send this on to all the friends, parents, aunts and uncles,
      grandparents, and cousins that you know. Let your children know too --
      it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

      Please also contact your representatives to ask them why they aren't
      telling their constituents about these bills -- and contact
      newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not
      covering this important story.

      Congress.Org -- Issues and Legislation
    • Terry Lubka
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "inf2u" <mdhistorybooks@a...> wrote:
        > Not to mention reenacting.Talk about a blast from the past.......
        > "There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills:
        S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the
        draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004
        presidential election."

        Why would this affect reenacting? I suspect you just posted this to
        further on the protest as mentioned further down in the article.
        Please stop putting politics into this egroup it's not needed.

        Terry