Re: after hours authenticity

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
      --- Sean <shirst@...> wrote:

      > Now Dan, when have you ever seen me, atleast, take
      > it this far? I didn't
      > mean drop all pretence of where we are at.

      Sean,
      sorry if you took my comments personally, it wasn't
      intended that way.
      my point is that instead of easing off the
      authenticity after all the tourists leave, we should
      all strive to crank it up a notch. the last
      reenactment i attended was particularly bad in this
      respect and if i'm faced with the option of choosing
      that event over another next year, guess what?
      i have no problems with quiet non-period conversations
      around campfires. hell, that just adds to the
      ambience. and i could care less what you've got in
      your mug, just please don't leave the cans & bottles
      laying out in plain sight. (i'm not saying YOU
      personally Sean, just a general observation.)

    • Sean
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
        Dan,

        Didn't take it personally at all.

        I was just saying that my unit tries to avoid degenerating to that level.
        At most of the events that I go to it's very hard to hang on to the
        ambiance that you are talking about with cars whizzing past and people
        yelling out their windows. At those events I find it isn't worth the
        effort. I have, however been to a few events where we have been far from
        any outside influences and these are usually the events where we put a
        serious effort towards maintaining that historical feel. One of partuicular
        note for me was the Penetanguishene row down the Nottawasoga a few years
        back. We were out of the way, far from any city sitting in the middle of an
        over grown field with a river running past that was full of period boats.
        We sat around a fire on the ground with our packs and blankets and shared
        Screech out of a period bottle. A most excellent time if ever there was one.

        Sean Hirst
        Chosen Man - Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
        Private - Glengarry Light Infantry
        *********************************
        945-0591
      • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 1999
          In a message dated 04/8/1999 4:18:57 PM, musketballs@... writes:

          >i have no problems with quiet non-period conversations
          >around campfires. hell, that just adds to the
          >ambience. and i could care less what you've got in
          >your mug, just please don't leave the cans & bottles
          >laying out in plain sight.

          I agree completely. In fact in our Unit it is written policy that after hours
          the "no modern items in sight" rule still goes (which includes cans, bottles,
          bags, cartons, cigarettes or whatever). If someone has to have a Diet Coke,
          OK, but it goes into a period vessel and the can disappears. Cigarette? --
          Off he goes out of the camp to enjoy. There is nothing hard about it, it's
          simple to do, and as long as everyone already knows it is what is, then it
          is. If you follow....

          Cheers!
          http://hometown.aol.com/ninety3rd
          THE Thin Red Line

          P.S. We were at an event this year where the organizers had sent out a
          "Guidelines" sheet for authenticity. Included was an item on cigarette
          smoking as we have above -- out of camp, out of sight. But this particular
          Guideline included with cigarettes "cigars" in the "not accurate" category.
          So naturally at every opportunity I made sure I had a smoldering cheroot
          clinched in teeth or fist. Why, you ask? In hopes that whatever addled
          brained nincompoop had come up with that one would say something to me about
          it and I could launch into all the footnoted, documented instances of British
          officers (at least) having and smoking cigars during the period, and in all
          sorts of circumstances and conditions. That and the history of cigars, going
          back to Columbus...
          Of course, as with most such anticipated events, I was never allowed to have
          me jollies fulfilled...