Grand Tactical

    Message 1 of 108 , Jun 3, 2004
      From: "Ed Bolla" <Armchairadm@...>

      " ... it was an excellent weekend, ...
      My only complaint was that the area used for the tacticals was too small...
      It is too bad that we could not make use of all that lovely ground at the
      bottom of the bluff between the Fort & the Maumee River... "
      ------------------------

      Ed et al

      As Michael Mathews has stated, "since the river had been so high
      they hadn't been able to get down to prep the ground".

      As part of the Grand Tactical Planning Group, I must comment that
      it is very hard to choose the ideal site for the Grand Tactical. Some sites
      are
      too small, others too far away. It would be nice to have it in our back yard
      but this always causes some units a two day drive! The fact that Infantry,
      Cavalry and Artillery need room to manoeuvre are constant concerns.

      Another item, which can only be overcome by you the attending
      re-enactors is "REGISTRATION". Some re-enactors register and don't attend,
      others don't register and show up and others just never register. If you
      expect
      wood and straw you 'MUST' pre register. Some sites offer food and depend on
      registration in order to have enough food on hand. Should we not offer all
      events this courtesy?

      The 2005 Grand Tactical plans have been underway for a few
      months
      and all have been informed of the dates, July 23-24 (2nd last weekend in
      July)
      This should be enough notice for all USA and Crown units to choose it as an
      Official "Must Attend" Unit Event, but again, only if you want a really big
      1812
      event.

      The Fort Meigs, Maumee River problems caused the Navy presence
      to be
      cancelled this year. The Niagara area site or sites are being investigated
      to allow
      ships, boats, etc. to also be involved in the 2005 Annual Grand Tactical.
      More
      to be announced as plans come to fruition.

      Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, Navy ... porta-potties ... all
      important concerns!

      Yours,

      Larry Lozon

      ________________
      Crown Forces Events

      July 2-4 Lundy's Lane/Chippawa - Niagara Falls. Ontario
      Aug 7-8 Fort Erie - Ontario

      2005 Annual 1812 Grand Tactical ~ July 23-24 Niagara area
    • roy winders
      Message 108 of 108 , Oct 3, 2011
        On behalf of the British Indian Dept. I would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all
        the volunteers and staff of Fanshawe village for all their hard work.
        Thanks to the commanders on both ends of the field for keeping things running smoothly.
        Thanks to Andre and the crew of the Nancy for allowing us the chance to dance, and last
        but not least, my boys, who dance very well.
        p.s. would someone please return our cannon?
        Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.