Re: [WarOf1812] Grand Tactical

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 108 , Jun 3, 2004
      I was told by one of the site people that since the river had been so high
      they hadn't been able to get down to prep the ground any, and the pot holes
      (some very large) were full of water. To avoid risking broken body parts in
      the high grass they opted to keep it in front of the fort. As you say,
      perhaps next time. I've worked the flood plain at F&I events and it's a
      nice playground, if rather irregular.

      Michael Mathews
      Glengarry LI Fencibles/95th Rifles last weekend

      Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality. The Dali Lama

      >From: Armchairadm@...
      >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Grand Tactical
      >Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:39:52 EDT
      >
      >On the whole I thought it was an excellent weekend, with lots of
      >opportunity
      >for Battalion Drill. (Something we don't often get a chance to do on the US
      >side.) The Artillery was also very impressive. We don't usually get a
      >chance
      >to see that many guns at most 1812 events.
      >
      >My only complaint was that the area used for the tacticals was too small.
      >While the ground was wide enough to easily accommodate all the forces
      >present,
      >it was not deep enough (except for the drainage ditch, which we were
      >marched
      >though several times) to allow much in the way of maneuvers beyond of
      >deployment into line. It is too bad that we could not make use of all that
      >lovely
      >ground at the bottom of the bluff between the Fort & the Maumee River.
      >More than
      >enough room there for all the maneuvering one could want, plus the crowd
      >could be kept up on the hill slopes giving them an excellent view of the
      >proceedings. Maybe next time.
      >
      > Ed Bolla
      > Ship's Coy. Brig Niagara
      > & 17th US Inf.

      >of square miles...

    • roy winders
      Message 108 of 108 , Oct 3, 2011
        On behalf of the British Indian Dept. I would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all
        the volunteers and staff of Fanshawe village for all their hard work.
        Thanks to the commanders on both ends of the field for keeping things running smoothly.
        Thanks to Andre and the crew of the Nancy for allowing us the chance to dance, and last
        but not least, my boys, who dance very well.
        p.s. would someone please return our cannon?
        Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.