Fort Meigs Weekend

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31 9:07 PM
      The Royal Marines would like to express their appreciation to the Ft Meigs staff and organizers for a great event. As it was our first foray to the west of the Appalachians, it was good to meet and put faces to names of so many personages of this group.

      Thank you Drums for "Portsmouth"; thank you Rev. Pollard (aka Hobbs) for the service. (Everyone thanks Mr Windsor for NOT reading the Articles of War!)

      I would also like to thank the Crown Forces Staff for allowing us to portray Royal Marine Artillery on Sunday and to Peter Twist for allowing us to use the Ft York gun. Though we have done artillery before, this was the first time we were able to take a gun into action as the RMA.

      But I would be remiss if I did not express my sincerest thanks to those who's genuine concern was shown and expressed to me during my mini crisis on Sunday afternoon. To those who were knowledgable and concerned, the hospital tests revealed no serious problems for my wife other than she may have been having a re-action to some medication she had just started using a couple of weeks ago. She is feeling fine today. To all, the Ft Meigs staff and the staffs of the U.S. and Crown Forces forces were able to track me down within 15 minutes of receiving a phone call from my family in Baltimore. How's that for efficiency.

      Again thanks to all and hope to see all of you again in some future event.

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines

    • Tom Fournier
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26 11:46 AM
        Good afternoon list!

        I am pleased to report that the weather was amazing in Perrysburg,
        Ohio this weekend for the annual "First Seige Weekend" at Fort Meigs.

        The 41st Regiment were so pleased to return to one of their most
        favourite sites. The appeal to us is an obvious strong connection to
        the history of the 41st Regiment, an amazing site, a great museum and
        bookstore, incredible beautiful and friendly local communities and
        above all fantastic hosts and very good friends.

        Thank you to the staff, volunteers and friends of Fort Meig. It was
        all quite excellent!

        There were three "ambushes in the ravine" through the course of the
        weekend with the 41st Regiment, the Caldwell Rangers and the Royal
        Scots Grenadiers each taking a turn at providing the nasty surprise!

        Saturday's battle was a recreation of Dudley's Massacre and Sunday's
        was Miller's Charge.

        Other weekend highlights were a memorial march from the ruins of Fort
        Miamis (British camp during the seige) to Fort Meigs and the 2nd
        Annual "Burn the Wheel" ceremony (inside joke that we are more than
        willing to share if you join us at Fort Meigs!) and the truly
        excellent Saturday night dinner.

        I hope to have photos up on our website soon and will advise as to
        when I activate the albums.

        If you have never been, please talk to a member of the 41st to find
        out why we love the site and the event so much.

        http://www.fortmeigs.org/

        Your most humble and obedient Servant,

        Tom Fournier, Captain
        41st Regiment of Foot
      • tom4141fournier
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28 7:15 AM
          Good morning list!

          Another incredible weekend at Fort Meigs!

          The site, the staff, the volunteers and local communities are all incredible and this sets this event up to be one of my favourites year after year.

          Our most heartfelt thanks and appreciation go to all there for their outstanding hospitality and friendship.

          The downside this year was such a small turnout on the British side ...one of the smallest I have seen in years. It is too bad, because this likely one of the largest gatherings of American based U.S. units that you will encounter (an extremely target rich environment).

          We were fortunate in that the U.S. loaned us the highly capable 19th U.S. to join our side and balance the forces on Saturday afternoon.

          Next year, Longwoods has graciously given up their weekend so that Fort Meigs can have their event on May 4th and 5th and be able to have a reenactment on the actual 200th anniversary of the battle.

          We do hope that more troops from every nation can join us there to make it a truly special bicentennial event!

          So many reenacters from this part of Ohio travel multiple times each year to Ontario to help celebrate our events in our backyard, it is only fair that Canadians consider reciprocating once in a while.

          Photos from this weekend can be found our on webpage at:

          www.fortyfirst.org

        • annbwass@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 28 7:59 AM
            Next year, Longwoods has graciously given up their weekend so that Fort Meigs can have their event on May 4th and 5th and be able to have a reenactment on the actual 200th anniversary of the battle.

            Drat! That is also the 200th anniversary of the sacking of Havre de Grace, Maryland, and big events are planned there, too.

            Ann Wass
          • tom4141fournier
            Message 5 of 9 , May 28 8:20 AM
              "Drat! That is also the 200th anniversary of the sacking of Havre de Grace, Maryland, and big events are planned there, too."
              Ann Wass

              Welcome to the bicentennial years! We are going to be very busy and even with weekends with no apparent conflicts, smaller events and events on intervening weekends will bleed off available reenactors
            • gary beauregard
              Message 6 of 9 , May 28 9:00 AM
                I was at the Havre de Grace event, this year and it's a very nice area with lots of accommodation for folks, who do not camp and very easily accessed from the Interstates. For those who are military retirees, Aberdeen Proving Ground is only minutes away (south), with first class lodging and a fabulous museum (what we would consider modern warfare). About twenty-five to thirty minutes further down the main Interstate is Fort McHenry, also fun to see.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 28 9:06 AM
                  "Welcome to the bicentennial years! We are going to be very busy and even with weekends with no apparent conflicts, smaller events and events on intervening weekends will bleed off available reenactors"

                  Yes, indeed, and there just aren't enough of us reenactors to go around!

                  Ann Wass
                • John Ogden
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 28 9:10 AM
                    Speaking from the Jonathan side of the equation, the weekend was excellent,
                    although we had some small difficulties on the level of the individual
                    soldier: I personally experienced a forceful reminder that one cannot walk
                    at the normal pace / stride on linoleum floors (such as in the visitor
                    center) while wearing period shoes with leather soles and hobnails. The
                    resulting twisted ankle did not keep me out of the field on Saturday, but
                    my speed in marching was decidedly diminished. Still, I always enjoy
                    seeing well-turned out units of either army, and the 41st definitely
                    qualified.

                    John Ogden

                    First U.S. Volunteers
                  • Ed
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 30 12:18 PM
                      And Elkton is planning an event for the previous weekend to celebrate their 'turning back' the British. I'm actually trying to have the two events talk to each other and possibly work out a schedule to have one large event versus two, possibly, smaller attended ones due to traveling on back to back weekends.

                      But at Havre De Grace, we may wind up fighting our way through the town, if my suggestion carries any weight.

                      Cheers,

                      Ed Seufert
                      1812 Royal Marines

                      (Who wishes he was getting these emails instead of having to log in to read them)!